Can't update firmware on a WS1098

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Hello all, I'm having a problem updating my WS1098 to version 3.4 firmware.

I was prompted to update EZ-Scan (which I did) followed by a CPU and DSP update.

EZ-Scan checks the scanner's current firmware, finds version 3.3 and prompts me to update it.

The firmware is downloaded, the scanner restarts and enters the firmware update mode (Main Appl code update mode waiting for USB). During this time, the PC indicates a device has been unplugged and something has been plugged back in.

EZ-Scan says that it is erasing the flash memory and that's as far as I get. An error message pops up "No data received from the scanner. Please restart this process from step number." The scanner shows "Main Appl code update in progress.....".

I've tried different USB cables and I've installed EZ-Scan on another computer with the same result.

I can upload and download my configuration fine.

Anybody have any suggestions?

The DSP seems to have updated though. It shows 3.0 as Current and Available. Not sure how that happened though?

I did try the standalone firmware updater where you hold the Menu key in as you plug in the USB cable but all that happens is the screen flashes and the scanner never enters the firmware update mode.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I'm having a problem updating my WS1098 to version 3.4 firmware.

I was prompted to update EZ-Scan (which I did) followed by a CPU and DSP update.

EZ-Scan checks the scanner's current firmware, finds version 3.3 and prompts me to update it.

The firmware is downloaded, the scanner restarts and enters the firmware update mode (Main Appl code update mode waiting for USB). During this time, the PC indicates a device has been unplugged and something has been plugged back in.

EZ-Scan says that it is erasing the flash memory and that's as far as I get. An error message pops up "No data received from the scanner. Please restart this process from step number." The scanner shows "Main Appl code update in progress.....".

I've tried different USB cables and I've installed EZ-Scan on another computer with the same result.

I can upload and download my configuration fine.

Anybody have any suggestions?

The DSP seems to have updated though. It shows 3.0 as Current and Available. Not sure how that happened though?

I did try the standalone firmware updater where you hold the Menu key in as you plug in the USB cable but all that happens is the screen flashes and the scanner never enters the firmware update mode.

Hi Mike -
Which Windows version are you using and have you had a windows update lately?

Thanks,
WW

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Same for me. Also tried the manual updater and it failed.

I'm on Win10.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I have the same problem scanner also stays stuck in mode

usb power
charging backup battery

Only way to get out of this mode is to disconnect power .
wait 30 seconds while holding power button and reapply power cord

This happens when you get here please restart this process from step number

Windows 10 up to date.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Windows 7 for me.

Last update was December 3rd and that was a Windows Malicious Software update.

The last non Windows Defender update was back in October.

I've got 23 recommended updates. Might try letting the computer update and then try the firmware update again.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I have 3 laptops (XP, 7, 10) and had no issues at all with this update via Win10. My Win7 laptop I can't get to recognize the scanner to save my life, and the XP laptop usually works well too.

KevinC

Super Moderator
On the bright side at least it didn't brick my radio. :p

scan_this

Premium Subscriber
The nxdn was released today but a lot of the scanners can't do it so a lot of the scanners probably don't need the update.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Yea, I've been in this position before too; these problems are not fun. A lot of the information previously covering this is no longer on this website, and I'm too busy right now repeat specific troubleshooting.

The most concise advice I can give is this: Sometimes different versions of the EZ Scan software cause problems on some machines. See if you can find the installation file for an older version of EZ Scan that you know worked with your PC. Load that. Try the CPU update. See if that solves the connection problems.

Prior to today, when was the last time you updated your EZ Scan Application? If it's been a long while (perhaps summer or before), reverting to an old version might do the trick.

KevinC

Super Moderator
The nxdn update was only for the trx series...not the 1095/88 or the 1080/88

Who said anything about NXDN???

When EZScan for the WS1098 performed an "update check " it indicated a PC application, CPU and DSP update were available (and all have dates of 12/15/2015).

dmaria

I have the same problem scanner also stays stuck in mode

usb power
charging backup battery

Only way to get out of this mode is to disconnect power .
wait 30 seconds while holding power button and reapply power cord

This happens when you get here please restart this process from step number

Windows 10 up to date.

Exactly the same situation for me.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Looks like they pulled the CPU update as the "Available" version shows 1.0.0.0.

Attachments

• EZ.jpg
    EZ.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 496

KevinC

Super Moderator
It has been confirmed that Whistler has an issue with the CPU update.

So no, we weren't doing anything wrong, using the wrong version, having computer issues or anything else that we had no control over. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.