Cantenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Hi again,

I'm working on making a small directional antenna to be a good starting point. I'm trying to build an antenna to get the Frisco, TX site on their system and on the PAWMco system in Collin County, TX.

My whistler is suffering from the simulcast distortion, so I thought a cantenna pointed towards the tower (it's around 6 miles to the southwest) might help.

Is a cantenna even worth the time?

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
There's an old saying "can't hurt, might help" :) You can also try horizontal polarization with your cantenna to add some attenuation. Nothing wrong with experimenting !

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
There's an old saying "can't hurt, might help" :) You can also try horizontal polarization with your cantenna to add some attenuation. Nothing wrong with experimenting !

Since I already have a mag mount, could I punch a hole into a paint can, put the mag mount through, and jerry rig a dish? Turning it into a haphazard directional. Would this be an option too?

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Sure ! You won't hurt or damage anything since it's just receive only. With your paint can idea, it'd be best of the can wasn't touching the whip of the antenna anywhere. The paint can would be a "shield" around the whip and allowing RF to enter only from the open side. You won't hurt anything by trying new ideas. And, it can be a bit fun once you find the right combination :)

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Sure ! You won't hurt or damage anything since it's just receive only. With your paint can idea, it'd be best of the can wasn't touching the whip of the antenna anywhere. The paint can would be a "shield" around the whip and allowing RF to enter only from the open side. You won't hurt anything by trying new ideas. And, it can be a bit fun once you find the right combination :)

So, update, we have a can over the antenna end, no noticeable improvement yet, however the bottom of the antenna broke off, only the magnetic part.

AB5ID

Never did try to build one but here you go.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Never did try to build one but here you go.

For some reason my makeshift cantenna is going better, it is pictured above.

Status
Not open for further replies.