Canton Area Fire??

Status
Not open for further replies.

xusmarine1979

Anybody in Stark County listening to the large fire? If so where is it and who's call was it? It pretty much sounds like every tanker in the county is there along with Canton City. I'm just guessing the Faircrest Timken plant?

curtainin

It is the old luntz scrap yard burning, channel 19 and fox 8 news helos up live shots on tv. It's very close to my house, I'm watching helos now, caught some comms on 123.075. I am getting smoke blanketing my "hood" and it kinda stinks.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Just got back from this fire. There is a huge pile of scrap cars burning. I was on a tanker and we ran 15 trips in six hours and our tanker is not done yet; a relief crew was sent in for us. There are 22 tankers running currently. Altogether there are crews and apparatus from at least 23 area fire departments.

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
I passed by around Navarre Rd & Whipple Av during the afternoon and caught the huge plumes of smoke. Awful.

And yeah, the smell. Whew. Real bad stank.

Those guys n' gals worked their butts off down there all day long. And to add to it all,
another round of heavy-duty lightning meandered thru the county last night giving
them the added concern of towers turned into lightning rods.

And as I write, another call has gone out to Canton Twp & Perry to go back to Varley because of fire once again sighted at the northeast edge of the area.

wabc770

Premium Subscriber
xusmarine1979 said:
Canton Twp FD's channel and Stark's TRS are quite busy.
I think it was the first July 3rd in my memory that there was as much traffic about anything as there were 'Fireworks Complaints'.

Tho of course there's never any end of '911 hangups' to respond to.

16b

Premium Subscriber
xusmarine1979 said:
What road is that located on, btw? Thanks.
You've probably already read it somewhere, but the address was 3101 Varley. I thought that I would never stop hearing that address on the radio!

I'm just up here for the holiday, and being from Columbus I'm not used to hearing much exciting radio traffic here in Canton. Wow!

I got home from the Indians game at about 11:30 last night (3rd), and they were still working on the fire.

FPO703 said:
North Canton.
South of Canton, actually.

map32

I was there for a few hours monday. When I was there they had 22 tankers filling at two sites and dumping at two sites. The first dump site had Brewsters engine drafting and supplying Ashland refineries engine. The other dump site had Canton City engine 4 drafting and supplying two towers, but I don't remember whos. I can't believe Canton was drafting. I wonder who they borrowed the hard suction hose from?

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
map32 said:
I was there for a few hours monday. When I was there they had 22 tankers filling at two sites and dumping at two sites. The first dump site had Brewsters engine drafting and supplying Ashland refineries engine. The other dump site had Canton City engine 4 drafting and supplying two towers, but I don't remember whos. I can't believe Canton was drafting. I wonder who they borrowed the hard suction hose from?

Those two towers were Canton Twp. and Perry Twp. and yes, I could not believe they had Canton City drafting. What do city boys know about drafting? They must have had some of the country boys show them how to do it.

xusmarine1979

map32 said:

I remember them mentioning who they borrowed it from now I forget...

Status
Not open for further replies.