Canton (Cherokee County) entertaining bids on LTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
The city of Canton (NOT Cherokee County) is taking bids on updating their radio system from conventional to a P25 LTR VHF system. The County is studying a 800 MHz P25 Motorola. I'm not sure if Canton is dispatched out of Cherokee County, so, it doesn't make sense that one city would be LTR while the rest of the County is Motorola TRS.

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Canton City

there is no such thing is P25 LTR....maybe passport or multinet...i heard they were talking to radio one for radios on that system or something like that...but i see they have 800 frequencies they have but no peep out of them...so we will see what happens....

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
LTR cannot work on a digital carrier. LTR uses sub-audible tone signaling (similar to a DPL) to facilitate trunking.

Sounds like someone is trying to sell them MotoTRBO or NXDN, both of which use digital modulation (not IMBE/APCO-25).

They should save their money and wait to see what Cherokee county does. Talks were in progress at one time to expand the Cobb DTRS into Cherokee by adding additional sites on Pine Log. But it all comes down to money...

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Yeah, Like City of Atlanta and Fulton County on two different systems and I doubt seriously they can talk to each other - even with ITAC! :)

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
that is one shining example of the so-called "local government apartheid" that Atlanta is so famous for. In 1990 when Fulton built out their 800 Smartnet system, the city of Atlanta was just starting to look at replacing their aging UHF conventional system which was installed in the early 70's. Detective radio was still on VHF (for interoperability!) if you recall. But they held out for the 1996 Olympics thinking Motorola would cut them "a deal" on a Smartnet II system since Ma M was the official radio communications sponsor of the event (I still have my "Olympic Gold Edition" MicroTac IS-136 digital cellphone, the FIRST Motorola TDMA handset with it's cool leather case with Olympic logo). But that didn't happen, Motorola brought in a VHF analog Smartnet system and handed out SP Systems Sabers (yeah, got one of those too!). Atlanta ended up scrambling with an RFP for a Smartnet II system and got boned. Never had the coverage needed (remember when Ofc. Pat Cocciolone and her partner were shot by some nutjob in Buckhead? She claimed she tried her portable several times, hit her emergency button, no one responded. No one heard her either.) and now the new system works great in town but has poor coverage outside the city whereas the old system did not.

Atlanta and Fulton steadfastly *refuses* to work with each other on anything governmental. It's such a stupid foolish waste of resources. The Fulton system is an excellent one for it's time (and still is) with coverage reaching far north and south of the city. If there wasn't such a strained relationship, we might have more end to end interoperability.

Contrary to what Motorola pushes, equipment alone is only a small part of solving the issues at hand of interoperability. 80 percent of it is people.

If we were serious about this, we'd have a statewide radio authority/board like MECA eventually became Project Hoosier-SAFE T in Indiana. And we'd have a kick butt statewide radio system too.

Ah pipe dreams....

Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
The way it is going in Fulton, the "County" may not be around much more! FCPD is almost dried up, SO & Marshal don't do much and all the FD's are being taken over by local jurisdictions! Maybe Chat-Comm should "buy out" the Fulco system?

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, Like City of Atlanta and Fulton County on two different systems and I doubt seriously they can talk to each other - even with ITAC! :)

I know an Atlanta PD Sgt., his radio has Fulton Co, Alpharetta, Sandy Springs, all the fire departments, Johns Creek, Cobb, Dekalb, and some state TG's.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Usually, the Sgt's and above have the better channels. It's the working man that can't communicate!

They may have all the channels, but someone has to make the command executive decision on WHO is going to assign the mutual aide channel and WHO is going to control it.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I hear ya. Fulton needs a county/city wide disaster or a mutual aid set of talk groups. I worked in a county in GA where every member of the system, from cop to chief from deputy to sheriff from fireman to utility worker had all 5 mutual aid talk tacs. If there were two agencies that needed to talk or if there was a large event that needed a tac where lets say air traffic control needed to talk to EMS, a few cops, and a DOT supervisor, we could do it.

Every major operation ive ever been apart of or in charge of, communications has always been where it was made or totally went to sh*it. If you cant talk your screwed. At least thats been my experience.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Fulton Interoperability

I totally agree with what has been posted. Remember the incident at the Fulton County Courthouse when the judge, deputy, court reporter and ICE agent were gunned down? All we heard about was how the city couldn't talk to the county and nobody could talk to the Feds? Hasn't changed a bit. The problem has nothing to do with technology. As someone said in an earlier post, it's all about politicians. It's not even the command structure. The city councils, county commissions and city leadership don't understand how critical it is because they've never had to deal with it personally. If they had, we would already have the capability. If Georgia's Governor was really the leader he should be, he would have already mandated a statewide system - or at least a SINGLE system for the greater metro area.

As the Cheshire Cat said to Alice: "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."

N8IAA

Great just great.........PSR500 won't do jack on that.

Just don't hold your breath:D It's going to be quite a while before we see scanners doing NXDN, MotoTRBO, and P-25 Phase II. One reason I didn't buy a new digital scanner last year. Going to be patient and see what happens in the next year or so:(
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.