Canton City Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
What is going on in Canton tonight? Canton Twp. tower 17 just got sent to standby at Canton City Station #1 and Canton Twp. station #3 just got toned for an engine for standby. I do not have my digital scanner at home to monitor Canton City. Anyone monitoring them know what is going on?

xusmarine1979

I believe a furnace fire in the 900 block of 9th street N.E. I can't recall the names of the chemicals but there were several firefighters exposed to something and they have to set up decon.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I saw the article in the rep today. Looks like they actually got to use those multi-thousand dollar decon setups that the feds bought us after 9-11-01. Until now, they have only been out for trainings. Lets hope this is the only time they need to be used.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
The Rep reported that one chemical was trichloroethylene — a toxic solvent used in dry cleaning but that there were other chemicals as well.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I have some more info on this story. I was talking with one of the Canton City Batallion Chiefs last night and I guess Canton City FD is a little upset with FEMA to put it mildly. Turns out, those four mass casualty trailers that I mentioned in a post about a week ago had been approved by FEMA and awarded to Stark County many months ago. They have been sitting at a warehouse under lock and key since then because of bureaucratic red tape and other bull****. Stark EMA has been trying to get them delivered for months. I guess they really could have used one for the hazmat equipment on this incident to do decon at the scene. The **** hit the fan Friday. The chief went to the mayor who was pretty upset about it. The mayor called Rep. Ralph Regula and I guess he chewed somebody a new one because the trailers are going to be delivered first thing this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.