CAP + monitoring w/out LCN

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I'm still trying to get a handle on monitoring DMR systems. I have a CAP+ multi site system programmed as conventional and can receive the rest channel and voice transmissions.

I have the same freqs programmed for each site as a MotoTRBO trunked system. On some sites I have a couple LCNs set but not all. On others I have no LCNs set and instead have 0 for each frequently. In either case I hear nothing.

I have firmware .28 on the radios (436 & 536)

What am I doing wrong?

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
In a MotoTRBO system if you don't have the correct LCN for the frequency, you will hear nothing. LCN has to be correct for each frequency.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I'm still trying to get a handle on monitoring DMR systems. I have a CAP+ multi site system programmed as conventional and can receive the rest channel and voice transmissions.

I have the same freqs programmed for each site as a MotoTRBO trunked system. On some sites I have a couple LCNs set but not all. On others I have no LCNs set and instead have 0 for each frequently. In either case I hear nothing.

I have firmware .28 on the radios (436 & 536)

What am I doing wrong?

You say you have a CAP+ multi site. How many repeaters are at each site? Are you trying to monitor the traffic from more than 1 site? I have a 4 site system but there is only 1 repeater at each site. I only need to put the site close to me into the scanner. No need to enter the other sites unless the system is set up not to broadcast all talk groups across all sites.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
You say you have a CAP+ multi site. How many repeaters are at each site? Are you trying to monitor the traffic from more than 1 site? I have a 4 site system but there is only 1 repeater at each site. I only need to put the site close to me into the scanner. No need to enter the other sites unless the system is set up not to broadcast all talk groups across all sites.

4 or 5 repeaters each site. I am trying to monitor three sites. Listening in conventional mode I hear traffic from the same talk group on multiple sites.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
In a MotoTRBO system if you don't have the correct LCN for the frequency, you will hear nothing. LCN has to be correct for each frequency.

That's kinda what I thought. So are LCNs entered as 1 & 2 for the first freq then 3 & 4 for the second, etcetera?

I'm also trying to get an understanding of DSD+ but that's for another topic. Or is it?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
No. Each frequency has only one LCN. The LCN value will be the LSN (Logical Slot Number) for slot 2 on the frequency / 2 (i.e. if the LSNs for a frequency are 7/8, the LCN would be 4).

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
No. Each frequency has only one LCN. The LCN value will be the LSN (Logical Slot Number) for slot 2 on the frequency / 2 (i.e. if the LSNs for a frequency are 7/8, the LCN would be 4).

Alright then. Now on to figure out the LSNs. Does DSD+ do that?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes. When on a transmission, DSD+ will display the LSN of the current traffic.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I should amend. It does depend on the flavor of DMR. CON+ you'll need find all the freqs that indicate the same SYS ID. Then, I'd use the scanner's LCN finder to determine the correct values. CAP+ pretty much the same, except it is also easier in DSD+ to determine the LSN (it is blipped out on the rest channel). The challenge with CAP+ is that it can take a long time on a slow system for the rest channel to move to a different frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.