DSDPlus Cap+ not looking for rest channel

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
Ive been monitoring a Cap+ site for a few months now and now when the rest channel changes, DSD Fastlane isnt looking for it. I have the option for 'hunt for lost control channel checked and it set for 1.25 seconds. I thought I had a mistake in my siteloader file and I fixed it and restarted dsd but its still hanging on me

in the siteloader i have it listed as
;Cap+, 31905, 1, "Ball State University"

in the sites file its listed as
Cap+, 31905, 1, "Ball State University"

in the frequency file i have it listed as
;Ball State
Cap+, 31905, 1, 1, 452.3625,0,0
Cap+, 31905, 1, 3, 461.9625,0,0
Cap+, 31905, 1, 5, 463.6625,0,0
Cap+, 31905, 1, 7, 463.8875,0,0
Cap+, 31905, 1, 9, 464.7375,0,0

all frequency appear to be correct and as far as i know...theres no errors in the way I formatted it (I think)
heres the way its listed on RR

dsdplus Cap+.jpg

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
so Im sitting here watching this system and I have DSD sitting on the rest channel(for instance Ch 1), the rest channel changes and the screen says "loading all known rest channels" but it does nothing. eventually the rest channel comes back to Ch 1 and it starts working again. Then when the rest channel changes again and the screen says "loading all known rest channels" and it starts to cycle through the other 4 channels till it stops on the proper rest channel. Itll continue to work fine until I restart the program and it goes through the same thing again with it not searching for the rest channel the first time it moves. I was able to test this by forcing it to lose the rest channel by switching my antenna switch to my HF loop so DSD thinks the rest channel is gone and itll hang on 'loading all known rest channels'. Once I go back to the discone and DSD gets the rest channel signal that it was on before I switched antennas, itll work fine. I can go back to the loop again and itll start cycling through the other 4 channels until I switch back to the discone. Not sure if I need to add something to a file or what but its acting like it doesnt know what the other 4 channels are at first startup

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
@venom6733 - You didn't mentioned the DSDPlus.NETWORKS file. I assume you have one?

I know this is an apples/oranges comparison, but I thought I could share my DSDPlus file entries for a local Con+ system. The structure of the file entries appear to be similar for Cap+ and Con+ systems.

; SaiaNet DSDPlus.NETWORKS
Con+, 171, "SaiaNet"

; SaiaNet DSDPlus.SITES
Con+, 171, 25, "Syracuse"

; SaiaNet DSDPlus.FREQUENCIES
Con+, 171, 25, 1, 451.4250, 0.0, 0
Con+, 171, 25, 3, 451.2500, 0.0, 0
Con+, 171, 25, 5, 461.6625, 0.0, 0
Con+, 171, 25, 7, 464.7125, 0.0, 0
Con+, 171, 25, 9, 464.4375, 0.0, 0

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
@venom6733 - You didn't mentioned the DSDPlus.NETWORKS file. I assume you have one?

I know this is an apples/oranges comparison, but I thought I could share my DSDPlus file entries for a local Con+ system. The structure of the file entries appear to be similar for Cap+ and Con+ systems.

; SaiaNet DSDPlus.NETWORKS
Con+, 171, "SaiaNet"

; SaiaNet DSDPlus.SITES
Con+, 171, 25, "Syracuse"

; SaiaNet DSDPlus.FREQUENCIES
Con+, 171, 25, 1, 451.4250, 0.0, 0
Con+, 171, 25, 3, 451.2500, 0.0, 0
Con+, 171, 25, 5, 461.6625, 0.0, 0
Con+, 171, 25, 7, 464.7125, 0.0, 0
Con+, 171, 25, 9, 464.4375, 0.0, 0

Not quite the same. CAP+ does not have a system/network ID. One has to make up a fictitious system/network ID for CAP+. And if the CAP+ site/system is in the DB, it is recommended to use the SID from the RRDB.

Example: If I were adding The First Energy - Sammis Plant CAP+ system to DSDPlus, I would use 10126 as the system/network ID.
Code:
https://www.radioreference.com/db/sid/10126  -- this is the URL to the FE Sammis Plant Cap+ system.   Note the 10126 sid

Without using a fictitious system ID in DSDPlus, you cannot trunk-track a CAP+ system.

I do agree with you that the OP should make sure he has a proper entry in DSDPlus.Networks as well.

Mike

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Not quite the same. CAP+ does not have a system/network ID. One has to make up a fictitious system/network ID for CAP+. And if the CAP+ site/system is in the DB, it is recommended to use the SID from the RRDB.

Hi Mike. I do the same thing for systems around me that lack the system/network ID or aren't yet in the RRDB. When I stumble upon a new system, I often give it a fictitious ID just for testing purposes. A truly useful tip.

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
I used the id that was posted on the Unique ID that was on the page. It’s fictitious but it’s not the same as one at the end of the url. It’s the same ID I used to identify the system in all my DSDPlus files492E0252-6A40-481F-A6B5-9776202FD161.jpeg

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I used the id that was posted on the Unique ID that was on the page. It’s fictitious but it’s not the same as one at the end of the url. It’s the same ID I used to identify the system in all my DSDPlus filesView attachment 137914

That's perfectly fine. The difference is that is a site ID whereas what I posted was a system ID (in RRDB terms, not necessarily scanner terms). Either way, as long as the NetworkID that you use is unlikely to ever belong to another active system that you might monitor in your area, you're good to go.

m

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
That's perfectly fine. The difference is that is a site ID whereas what I posted was a system ID (in RRDB terms, not necessarily scanner terms). Either way, as long as the NetworkID that you use is unlikely to ever belong to another active system that you might monitor in your area, you're good to go.

m
I’ll look at my network file when I get home. Thanks for the reply.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
And you have these entries selected?

1678384991665.png

I used the id that was posted on the Unique ID that was on the page. It’s fictitious but it’s not the same as one at the end of the url.
31905 is not the same in the system url but it is the same on the site's url

1678385175609.png

1678385241286.png

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
it starts looking for the rest channel after its been on for a while but the first time it loses the rest channel, the program hangs and doesnt go through the other freqs looking for the rest channel. If I manually enter in the freq for the new rest channel and it changes again, then it starts goin through the other freqs like its suppose to,

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
i took out the semicolon and now it shows 2 Ball state universities at the bottom....do I remove the entry from the 'sites'file or just take the name ball state out of the line??

network file2.jpg

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
The first instance of "Ball State University" is from the DSDplus.NETWORKS file. The second instance is from the DSDplus.SITES file. Change the text in the SITES file to something else. An example could be the location of the transmitter (e.g. "Muncie").

Is there any chance your Cap+ system is now properly tracking the Rest Channel?

Last edited:

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
well it still hung up when the rest channel moved...but if I manually enter it in or when the rest channel ends back up on the one it was on and the rest channel moves a second time, itll start cycling through the channels until it finds the new rest channel

network file3.jpg

venom6733

Premium Subscriber
i can live with it...it does work but it takes a bit to do. Like I said earlier, when its on a rest channel and I flip my antenna switch to my loop, it thinks the rest channel is lost and when i put it back on the antenna it was on, it thinks the rest channel is found again. Then when it really loses the rest channel, itll start cycling through the channels till it finds it. Thanks for all the help guys, that damn semicolon got me I guess. Ive read the 'Notes' file over and over again trying to get this right :D. I like to try and figure stuff out on my own but I wasnt getting anywhere with this one...lol.

This also explains why when I try to open "network/site loader window"...it would say 'no network/site loader records found' ...i had it semicolon out...:confused:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The first instance of "Ball State University" is from the DSDplus.NETWORKS file. The second instance is from the DSDplus.SITES file. Change the text in the SITES file to something else.

An example could be the location of the transmitter (e.g. "Muncie").

I usually go with the name of the site thats listed in the database. You can have anything you like.

1678404699539.png