• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Capacity plus registration / repeater wakeup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubs0980

So I think I just learned the hard way (after smoking a Stridsberg multicoupler) that my XPR 4550's are sending RF of some sort when changing cap+ sites. It's just a little blip of rf wattage on my cheapo watt meter but enough to register.

Any idea what the radio is doing? I assumed short of a CON+ system there wouldnt be any affiliation packets so I thought I was safe.

Firebuff880

So I think I just learned the hard way (after smoking a Stridsberg multicoupler) that my XPR 4550's are sending RF of some sort when changing cap+ sites. It's just a little blip of rf wattage on my cheapo watt meter but enough to register.

Any idea what the radio is doing? I assumed short of a CON+ system there wouldnt be any affiliation packets so I thought I was safe.

Depends on your code plug. Most people have an Automatic Registrion Server (ARS) specified an many of the chanels set to send ARS on channel and / or system change.

-----

dgruber

I have a 6550 and what I believe is when the radio dose not hear any Capacity Plus data it sends a blip of data to key up one of the repeaters to see if its in range. I don't believe The radio is affiliating like radios do on Con+ or P25 trunking systems.

gtaman

It's affiliation. CAP+ systems use it. I have an XPR 4550 and a 6550 every few times I change groups I get a single flash on the LED. It's just telling the controller you join or leave a group. Also if the system has a rest channel set up then it will be more often.

N1GTL

Database Admin

I'm taking this to mean you have a Linked Capacity Plus site? Otherwise, it is a single site, not sites.

Either way, yes, the radios send a brief burst of data when they turn on. Neither Capacity Plus nor Linked Capacity Plus have a "controller" in the standard way we are used to. PassPort, Connect Plus and other systems use a controller but all the controlling in CP systems is handle by the repeater(s).

I doubt that your meter would react fast enough to measure the wattage and, when measuring output of a subscriber with a standard watt meter, it is going to be inaccurate. The subscribers switch on and off rapidly. I find that when using an analog watt meter and measuring the output of a 40 watt mobile, it will typically read 15-18 watts. Putting the subscriber on an R8000B, which can measure MotoTRBO output will give you an accurate reading, but intermittently. (hard to explain).

ARS is a setting that will tell the radio to register with, usually, a third party application (text/mail server, GPS, dispatch console, etc). That will result in a little more activity when you turn a subscriber on.

dubs0980

I'm taking this to mean you have a Linked Capacity Plus site? Otherwise, it is a single site, not sites.

Its two seperate Cap+ sites. The output is on the front end of the new channel of the new site when first changing. It only seems to do it once per site change.

Either way, yes, the radios send a brief burst of data when they turn on. Neither Capacity Plus nor Linked Capacity Plus have a "controller" in the standard way we are used to. PassPort, Connect Plus and other systems use a controller but all the controlling in CP systems is handle by the repeater(s).

Any idea what's included in that burst?

I doubt that your meter would react fast enough to measure the wattage and, when measuring output of a subscriber with a standard watt meter, it is going to be inaccurate. The subscribers switch on and off rapidly. I find that when using an analog watt meter and measuring the output of a 40 watt mobile, it will typically read 15-18 watts. Putting the subscriber on an R8000B, which can measure MotoTRBO output will give you an accurate reading, but intermittently. (hard to explain).

ARS is a setting that will tell the radio to register with, usually, a third party application (text/mail server, GPS, dispatch console, etc). That will result in a little more activity when you turn a subscriber on.

No ARS or GPS enabled one these. I figured the reading wouldnt be accurate. The way SDR sharp was jumping I imagine it could be full power. It seems to be too quick for DMRdecode and DSD+ to register any data. I'm certain I've turned these Cap+ sites on before without an antenna connected. I hope it's not long enough to do any damage.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I'll read through the system planner tomorrow to see if it mentions what the burst is. They don't register in the normal sense. The burst is with or without ARS.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I'd guess this is the initial data burst:

When there is no inbound traffic for a specified duration (Subscriber Inactivity Timer), the repeater stops transmitting and enters an inactive state. In this inactive state, the repeater is not transmitting, but instead it is listening for transmissions. When the user or radio needs to transmit
through the repeater, the radio sends a wake-up message to the repeater. Upon receiving the wake-up message, the repeater activates and begins transmitting idle messages. The radio then synchronizes with the repeater before it begins its transmission.The repeater wake-up sequence is configurable within the radio. The number of wake-up attempts (“TX Wakeup Message Limit“) and the time between the attempts (“TX Sync Wakeup Time Out Timer”) may be altered if required to operate with other vendor’s systems. It is recommended that these values remain at default while operating on MOTOTRBO systems.

dubs0980

Interesting. I'm going through the system planner as we speak also. It's funny how informative it is while still being quite vague on some subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.