Cape May Co EMS

philacop

Premium Subscriber
Question,
Does anyone know if Atlanticare or Inspira are the ALS , medic units those cover the County? I know some towns have their own BLS units. I hear Medcom dispatch but it sounds like towns in Atlantic county. I hear EMS units being dispatched on talk group 4983 using designations as 89 ect..
Also on talk group 4989 they are also dispatching 89 units.. Do the wildwoods Cape May and Upper Twp EMS units get dispatched on the NJICS ?

jaymatt1978

I can answer the second part of your question Wildwood and Cape May dispatch on 154.1300 and rebroadcast on Fire South talkgroup 4985. Upper Twp EMS dispatches on 155.1000.

philacop

Premium Subscriber
I can answer the second part of your question Wildwood and Cape May dispatch on 154.1300 and rebroadcast on Fire South talkgroup 4985. Upper Twp EMS dispatches on 155.1000.
Thanks Jay
I hear Cape May and Wildwood Crest on the Fire south but not Wildwood City or North Wildwood EMS .

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
So the AtlantiCare Medic units dispatch (i.e. Medic 7, 8, etc) is AtlantiCare Medcom which gets simulcast across both Cape May and Atlantic County systems. So occasionally you'll hear M12 going to Mays Landing or 4 going to Hammonton even on the Cape May County NJICS site. The 89 Units are the Inspira BLS units that cover portions of Cape May County.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your quick response.

Encrypted or clear transmissions?
This past Tuesday, logs show activity on Cape May site.
TG 5289 at that time was clear with RID’s 509xxx, that matches with my muni list.
I see the DB has been updated already.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
They've been on it for a few days now, and it's clear. Archives for the talkgroup in Calls.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
They've been on it for a few days now, and it's clear. Archives for the talkgroup in Calls.
Ummm, learned something new “calls”. Never saw that. Fabulous, thanks for calling to my attention.

c62bx20

I just received a Uniden BCD 396XT APCO 25 scanner. Will I be able to receive calls on the NJICS group 5289. Im very new at this and I might need help setting it up. Thanks

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I just received a Uniden BCD 396XT APCO 25 scanner. Will I be able to receive calls on the NJICS group 5289. Im very new at this and I might need help setting it up. Thanks
Looks like most (if not everything) on that system is TDMA, which your scanner won’t decode unfortunately.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
If I'm not mistaken a Pro-95 CAN NOT monitor this system
Correct. The Pro-95 (as well as any 20+ year old scanner) cannot monitor ANY P25 system as it only does analog trunking
1685888589502.png

You'll need a P25 Phase-II scanner which can trunk track TDMA talkgroups, preferably a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 to overcome likely simulcast distortion issues you'd face when monitoring any simulcast site on this system with any other capable scanner. Welcome to the RR forums!

Last edited:

c62bx20

I don’t doubt all your quick responses but I am very new at this. The scanner box says, Trunk tracker 4. APCO 25 digital. Keeping my fingers crossed.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I don’t doubt all your quick responses but I am very new at this. The scanner box says, Trunk tracker 4. APCO 25 digital. Keeping my fingers crossed.
P25 yes, P25 TDMA no. Don’t leave those fingers crossed too long as that can hurt. 😁

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

Sea Isle PD talkgroup 5289 is a Phase II TDMA talkgroup. The 396XT is not capable of Phase II TDMA. It will not work.

The 396XT is only capable of Phase I FDMA talkgroups. When you are looking in the RR database, pay attention to the Mode column. D = Phase I FDMA, T = Phase II TDMA.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
The 396XT is probably my favorite handheld of all time. It was my primary handheld for so many years both at home in upstate and during Cape May vacations. It recently became just about obsolete for monitoring in my (recently former) NY State region due to a new P25 Phase 2 system there as well in my now permanent Cape May Home where just about all public safety is on the NJICS P25 Phase 2 system. The 396XT will receive the 154.13 Fire/EMS paging channel in Cape May County, but not much else in terms of local, county and state public safety. It still has some use monitoring marine communications as well as civilian and military air, and in fact has better sensitivity and audio quality that the Uniden SDS100, likely the most popular P25 Phase 2 handheld.

The short of it is that if you want to monitor Sea Isle (and pretty much all Cape May Public Safety except for Ocean City) you need a Uniden SDS100 handheld, SDS200 tabletop, or a Unication G5 pager which works like a scanner. The Uniden 436HP and 536HP are marketed as P25 Phase 2 capable but performance is subject to "simulcast distortion" and can be very poor depending on location in relation to the individual towers.

There are plenty of threads regarding issues encountered monitoring P25 phase 2 systems. Good luck, and hope you are able to get a scanner that meets your needs. You will find the Phase 2 capable scanners considerably more expensive than other models.

Last edited: