Capitol Police update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Is there anybody in the Harrisburg area that could listen to Capitol Police and give us a report?

I was in the Harrisburg area on Sunday and caught brief audio on the Cap Police dispatch channel. The audio had a muddy quality to it similar to what I've heard on other systems when digital audio is patched to analog systems.

I'm curious if Capitol Police have made the switch to OpenSky and are patching the audio back to their old UHF channel for the benefit of Harrisburg PD/FD or House and Senate Security.

As of June 2006, the following agencies gave reports on transition status:

OAG - approximately 50% completed
DOC - projected 7/07 start date for pilot test
PSP - projected end of 2007 for full voice rollout (next test area is Jonestown)
DCNR - 0% complete
DMVA (PA Nat Guard) - nearly complete
DOH - approximately 90% rollout
PDA - initial rollout 6/06
DOT - Rolling out radios in Distrcist 1, 2, and 3. OpenSky will operate side by side with lowband equipment until coverage across the northern tier reaches an acceptable level. DOT reports approximately 4,000 radios in the field.
House Security - waiting on Senate Security and Capitol Police transitions

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
It's really funny that you posted this today. I had the same suspiscion and had it confirmed today However it seems that they have problems with Opensky as well. From my understanding only the supervisors have Opensky radios and everyone else is using analog radios at this point.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
That would certainly explain the audio quality of the transmission I caught. I was ticked I was there on a Sunday (not much going on for the Capitol Police) and could not listen more.

I was told that part of the delay for Capitol PD was Nextel interference around the Capitol Complex.

Slowly but surely, the state agencies are getting quieter and quieter. I've never seen any timeline for DPW (state hospitals and related facilites) and I can confirm that the Norristown State Hospital is still working on VHF-Hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.