Capitol Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Has anyone in the Montgomery area heard the Capitol Police using a repeater on 155.505?
I catch the tailend of a transmission about 10 minutes ago of a PS unit going 10-42 and I heard both the unit and CP base.

Also with the "new" "Take Back Our Highways" (TBOH) campaign starting next week, it might pay to listen to the DPS channels (other State) frequencies. Who knows might catch some "new" stuff.

SAR923

Yep, hear it all the time. It's being patched from the Montgomery TRS. You can hear them on either system.

As far as the latest DPS stunt, maybe they'll have enough vehicles and citation books this time. It was a joke last time they did this. I heard several ABI officers stopping people and giving warnings because no one had given them cite books.

Steve

Thanks Jim. Up till last night I have never the Capitol police up here (Tallapoosa Co) on 155.505.
I heard them in the past when they used the UHF setup, weak but readable.
There again I generally lock out the DPS base frequencies unless I hear something on the car/mobile frequencies that grabs my attention. So of the "new" stuff the PCO's "have" to do rubs me the wrong way so I don't listen.

adamnfd202

Premium Subscriber
Steve, what is the car to car freq and the car to base freq, I hear Montgomery State and Opelika State but no car traffic.

Steve

Adam, Opelika and Montgomery Posts use 155.445 for car to base and 154.920 (DPS 6) for car to car.
But the troopers can/will use 158.790, 155.505, 155.475, 155.010 and 159.465(used in the past) for car to car traffic. They can/will also use (with permission and with out permission) the local County and City frequencies.
In your area look out for traffic on Lee Co's Ch 3 and Tac West. Depending on the local "climate", the troopers can/will pop up on some strange/interesting frequencies.

oldranger

Dps

Adam, Opelika and Montgomery Posts use 155.445 for car to base and 154.920 (DPS 6) for car to car.
But the troopers can/will use 158.790, 155.505, 155.475, 155.010 and 159.465(used in the past) for car to car traffic. They can/will also use (with permission and with out permission) the local County and City frequencies.
In your area look out for traffic on Lee Co's Ch 3 and Tac West. Depending on the local "climate", the troopers can/will pop up on some strange/interesting frequencies.

Steve
I also hear DPS traffic up hear in Talladega County on those frequencies.

Steve

For car to base traffic in Talladega Co, you will need 159.030 (if you don't already have it).
Also listen to 859.4875 (don't know if this one will be rebanded or not), the extender frequency.
Generally short range but weather conditions and other things can "extend" the exender' range.

Steve

Folks, here is something for all to think about; I know that listening to the AL DPS is not as complex or complicated as some of the States that use a statewide trunking system. But what about either a sticky here or an article in the Wiki about monitoring DPS? Maybe between the "out to pasture" DPS folks and the current DPS folks that are members here combined with the rest of the AL member, we can put something like the SC folks have on the SC Forums and others. Just something to consider and then see what a moderator says. And if no one else wants to write it, I will volunteer.

elrick1569

Would i be able to hear them out on the highway with a pro 433 if im not that close to highway.

Steve

elrick1569, hearing the 859.4875 depends on several things.
Weather conditions and your antenna are just a couple of things affects reception.
I personally have received 859.4875 at my home from a trooper's vehicle located about 4 miles (as the crow flies) away. Other people have posted 1 mile or less reception. I try to keep the frequency in my radios that do 800MHz all of the time.
Now this won't work with your 433 because if memory is right the 433 doesn't do PL tones; if your does do PL tones put the radio in tone search. In the past tone 156.7 was used in extender mode and 123.0 was used in talk around mode. Don't know if those tones are still good or not.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Steve: Take a listen to 155.5125 (IIRC - i'll have to check - PL 123.0.) I suspect that may be the frequency that the Capital PD is using, and it bleeds over onto 155.505. The audio sounds better on that frequency anyway.

Also, around Montgomery, I haven't picked up the mobile extender frequency using PL tones. Personally, I wish they would use them, as I get interference on the mobile extender frequency from time-to-time.

Around here, the Troopers have the local VHF PD, SO, and fire department frequencies in their radios. Sometimes you can even catch those frequencies over the mobile extender frequency if they have their radios setup to scan. Years ago (early '90s), a trooper had to get a letter from the Chief of Police or Sheriff authorizing them to use their frequencies.

Warren

adamnfd202

Premium Subscriber

thanks Steve

West Side Tac is used for the AU football games mostly but there will be a large training drill monday morning on west side tac

oldranger

Talladega County

For car to base traffic in Talladega Co, you will need 159.030 (if you don't already have it).
Also listen to 859.4875 (don't know if this one will be rebanded or not), the extender frequency.
Generally short range but weather conditions and other things can "extend" the exender' range.

Thanks Steve for the update.MikeWB4LFC

Steve

Warren, That is what I thought (CP on splinter freq) and that is why ask. I haven't heard anything else from CP on 155.505 since then. Knowing DPS somebody was probably "playing" with some equipment maybe getting ready for "this week".
Mike, you're welcome. Looks like I can't hit "Herd's Gap" from my location at least with a HT, may have to dig out the mobile try that.

A little off topic, I know I have made some "smart butt" remarks about AL DPS. But I spent 16 years working in the department and most of that time I enjoyed. I did get "staffed" a few times and some experiences I wish never happened. I guess since I left it is easier pop off about the "bad/dumb/stupid stuff" that is happening and has happened and overlook/forget the good things that has occurred.
I just wish the department could break the "history repeating" cycle.

Steve

Mike, 859.4875 is the in car repeater frequency. The troopers have 800MHz HT's that transmit on 859.4875 to a "extender box" in their cars that is connected to the car's radio. Think of it as the trooper's version of crossband repeat (or crossbanding) that some Hams do using a 440 HT into a dual band (2M/440) mobile. The difference being the"extender box" (800MHz radio and hardware) in the trooper's car handles crossbanding instead of the mobile radio. It is easier to understand using pictures rather than (my) words. Check out a company named "Pyramid", they make the connection boxes for extenders/crossband repeaters (that is the only company I can think of off hand, there are more).

oldranger

Extender Box

Mike, 859.4875 is the in car repeater frequency. The troopers have 800MHz HT's that transmit on 859.4875 to a "extender box" in their cars that is connected to the car's radio. Think of it as the trooper's version of crossband repeat (or crossbanding) that some Hams do using a 440 HT into a dual band (2M/440) mobile. The difference being the"extender box" (800MHz radio and hardware) in the trooper's car handles crossbanding instead of the mobile radio. It is easier to understand using pictures rather than (my) words. Check out a company named "Pyramid", they make the connection boxes for extenders/crossband repeaters (that is the only company I can think of off hand, there are more).

Thanks Steve,I've got it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.