Car Antenna for use w/ Scanner AND Cell Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

cray54

I have a Uniden BCT-8 and a cell phone cradle that I intend to install in my car. I am wondering: is there is any practical way to use one antenna for the scanner and the cell phone at the same time? I would prefer to install only one additional antenna on my car if it is possible.

I have done several searches and come up short. I may not be looking for the right key words as I am new to the whole thing.

Thanks for your help, Chris

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Not probably IT WILL!!! Don't even think about it.

If putting another antenna on the outside of your car is a no-no, try an antenna on the back inside deck...lots of ways around another outside antenna.

Where do you live? Is an outside cell antenna really necessary? Not much use for them in any metro area...then you can take the outside antenna allocation and use it for a scanner antenna...

cray54

I live in upstate NY and bounce in and out of cell service just on the way to the grocery store. I want to install something for the scanner and something for the cell phone, but do not want to compromise quality of either any more than I have to. In an ideal world, I would be able to use hidden antennas for both… but I do not know if that is at all realistic.

My thought with installing only one antenna… I have only recently gotten this scanner and been learning about it. I understand it is illegal to use [in a car] in some states, and I drive cross-country fairly regularly. I figured if the antenna was for the cell phone it would help me stay out of trouble.

Thanks again - Chris

twolf816

ive been told by i dont know how many police officers in states that didnt allow scanners in their cars.....i dont live there, my vehicle's plate is out of state....not a problem

TooLate

Car Antenna for use w/Scanner AND Cell Phone

I've used an adapter that splits off the car's am/fm radio antenna such that the onboard stock antenna (fender mounted)...doubles as the scanner antenna. Works well enough (get signals from 50-60 miles away regularly depending on atmos. conditions and squelch settings) and no one knows the scanner is there (keep a carpet or dash colored towel in the car to cover it when not moving to improve discretion, plugged into cig ltr so it's off when ignition is off and not drawing attention to an empty car). You could try that...believe RS has them as well as others.

Now, if you have the in-windshield type, I've not tried that and would be interested to know if it works at all let alone well enough. Seems the am/fm reception is extremely directional and not reliable for other than strong local signals with the stock antenna...splitting it would seem to compromise it further...any hints to boost am/fm reception using the onboard in-glass antenna...so we can do this AND then the scanner?

tl

cray54

So... definitely do not use Cell / Scanner on the same antenna. I’ll get a stand alone cell antenna.

New question: are there any antennas that are better for use with the radio and scanner than just using a stock radio antenna with a scanner splitter?

Thanks again for your help - Chris

gcgrotz

Cray54: I agree with TooLate, go with sharing the broadcast antenna and install a cell antenna. I know of no way to share with the cell antenna short of a diplexer/splitter deal but that would filter the 800 MHz out of your scanner. You might find however, that the scanners whip works as well or better that the broadcast antenna on the car.

Just curious, are you still using 800 analog cell phone? Carriers will be allowed to drop analog service in the not-too-distant future. Maybe some of your coverage problem is because the carriers aren't building or expanding analog coverage and only repair the bare minimum. When I left USCellular in 1999 the decision had already come down that there would be no more analog sites built. If this is the case then maybe you should ask around if anyone has coverage on digital where you are, especially the older 800 MHz carriers in your area. Having said all that I must add that I am in a hilly/mountainous area in this county and there are areas where coverage from ANY carrier is difficult if not impossible.

At any rate, good luck and happy scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.