• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Car audio muting circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ_chris

My radio has a mute wire that will activate when ground is applied to it.
I have a CDM1550, and would like it so that when I key the mic it will apply ground to this wire (i.e. shut it up so I come thru clear without background music)

Where should I start, or is there any prebuilt units available?

N1GTL

Database Admin
I don't think any pins on back go high or low on a PTT from the mic. You can certainly mute your am/fm radio when the CDM receives by using the COR with a relay but to mute it on a PTT, not from a rear pin.

N1GTL

Database Admin
After a little research, you can do this by building a type of break out box for your mic to plug into. Pin 1 is 12v which can power a small relay. You'd have to plug your mic into a box and plug the box into the mic jack on the CDM. I'd do a little research online for an existing product before trying to build one if you not proficient at electronic work.

sfd119

Breakout box would be the best bet. 12v + to a relay to activate ground. I send 12+ power to a relay to send 12- to a Vehicle Repeater to enable it.

Rred

There is a kludge you can experiement with. Your radio may draw 250mA in receive or idle mode, versus 5A or 10A in transmit mode, right? (Ballpark numbers, feel free to find the real ones.)

So...you find some glass reed switches, which are tripped open/closed by a magnetic field. Try wrapping varnished wire (from a starter or alternator rebuild shop if you've got no convenient source) around the reed switch, for the full length of the switch. And run one of your power leads through that coil of wire.

Given a little "ballpark" luck (or some serious calculating) you may find that the power your radio pulls when you transmit, is enough to close the reed contacts and that can be used to conveniently ground the mute line.

It is a cheap kludge, but when you don't have to be "exact" about power ratings and all, it can often be made to work. If you don't get enough magnetism, you can play with "more coil" or with some electronics to amplify it, your choice. And that way, there's no need to open and modify the radio.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Another idea would be to find one of those old Motorola mic hang-up switch boxes. Years ago, the CTCSS (PL) was disabled by the switch in the hang-up box when you took the mic out of the holder. The switch is a simple SPST and would work perfectly for the OP's application. They come up on Ebay all the time. The only one up there right now is a little pricey at $25, but it is new out of a bulk package. One of the part numbers for this switch is TLN5181.

Motorola TLN5181A Microphone Hang Up Box w/ Switch

Rred

Gadgets like that were popular with car phones, when a "car phone" was a 3-watt dedicated cell phone for the car. Nice to know that someone still makes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.