car radio antenna splitter for scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ky396t

I have a 2012 Mitsubishi Gilant with a intergrated antenna in the rear window, should i use a splitter to hookup my 396t to it or should i use a seperate external antenna

jackj

You'll get a lot better results using an external antenna designed for scanners. Those antennas in the rear window don't work well for AM and they are directional on FM.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The AM-FM to scanner splitters are a compromise. Get and install a separate scanner antenna.
I've had several of the splitters and while they're better than any inside-the-car antenna, they are a compromise not only for the scanner but they also compromise your AM-FM radio reception. Even a through-the-glass scanner antenna is better than the splitter. Neither is as good as a separate external scanner antenna.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Larsen 150/450/800 and magnet mount performs exceptionally well. There are other mounts available (hole, trunk lip, etc.). I have three of these for different cars. I you don't need low band (<100mhz) then this is what you need. It's only 17" tall and black. Highly recommended.

Also, available from TessCo. The mag mount is cheaper here.

Last edited:

jackj

Go with Russell's recommendation, Larsen antennas are good antennas and a mag mount will keep you from drilling holes in the car.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I second getting a Larsen tri-band antenna,I have one and its built sturdy and it receives the freqs I listen to quite good.

WAScanMan

I tried one of these splitters you're talking about and it was garbage. That's not to say it won't work for you but spending the $30 +tax on my mag mount was a much smarter decision.

gsquared18

Premium Subscriber
I'm interested in the Smoky Mountain National Park frequencies which range from 160-173Mhz. Would this antenna work?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I'm interested in the Smoky Mountain National Park frequencies which range from 160-173Mhz. Would this antenna work?

The Larsen tri-band antenna would work alright at those freqs,but if your going to listen to them and nothing else,a dedicated antenna for those freqs would be better.

Like the Larsen NMO 150 style antennas with the freq range of 144-174 MHz

Larsen Amateur Mobile Antennas NMO 440B

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I am also a huge fan of the Larsen NMO150 for VHF only listening, especially the 5/8 wave. These, too, are fantastic antennas.

gsquared18

Premium Subscriber
While we're talking about mobile antennas, how do people use multiple antennas on their vehicle? Are they joined together via a splitter of sorts? I like the idea of the Larson 150 when I get up into the mountains and then maybe a general 25-1000Mhz for general city listening. If this topic has been discussed at nauseam, forgive me as I didn't bother to search the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.