Car / Scanner coupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Since I recently purchased a new truck and I'm gonna install a new scanner in it. Has any used the coupler that makes your scanner connect to your car antenna. Here's the link to one I'm looking at:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/4534.html

I'm looking for pro and cons, how well it works and if its worth the $$$ to buy one. I really want to keep my truck "low key" with the installation.

k8mcn

does your truck have a vertical metal antenna or one in the windshield?

If it is the vertical metal antenna you can get away with it if you are totally against another antenna on your vehicle. If the antenna is the type embedded in the glass i have heard that your mileage may vary.

I just put an antenna on my 2008 silverado today--not at all hard to do....you can even get stake mounts that allow you to attach the antenna and no hole drilled in the vehicle and they don't even scratch the paint. Cut off the connector on the antenna run the coax down the stake hole through the drain hole in the bed...one small hole drilled in the floor board, sealed with sealer, reattach a connector of your choice and good to go...........

Taloniilm

I was able to thread the bnc connector thru the hole in the bottom of the stake pocket on my '02 GMC I just used some thin wire attached the connector... I then threaded the cable thru the cab vent on the lower rear cab corner... no holes !!!

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I have an SUV I should have said that instead of a truck (I forget everyone things pickups when I say that). I do have a reguilar whip AM/FM antenna. It's not that I am against having another antenna on my truck, I wanna keep the look clean.

I had an Austin scanner antenna on my old truck and it worked great. i was looking into other options including buying a Comet pivot mount to attach the Austin to the rear hatch.

Also since i'll be mostly listening in the 25 to 800 MHz range, I wanted to see how well the couple would work compared to a second antenna.

I'm open to all suggestions and ideas.

Taloniilm

here's what a buddy of mine is running on his Tahoe (Larson tri-band w/ mag mount)... I'd say it's pretty stealthy... he reports excellent reception

Last edited:

skoobyj

Completely Banned for Stupidity
Banned
Those couplers work good they sell on ebay for like $15 (search: police scanner antenna), I use one in one car and in the other car I got a car antenna splitter (Y) from the parts store and an antenna extension and the right adapters and that works just as well for half the cost.

N1BHH

I have a Larsen NMO-150/450/800 that works very good for me. That antenna is stealthy to say the least. I can't see my antennas across a parking lot too well, I have the NMO-2/70B also roof mounted and I have to be right next to the van to see them. It's a very good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.