• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Car to Car Car to Base Setup Q's

Not open for further replies.


Dec 7, 2012
*** Note: I realize this is an advanced community. I will be asking incredibly simple Q's. I will appreciate
any/all replies, advice, instructions. I have not researched comm systems bc I do not know
what Q's to ask and have limited radio-speak terminolgy.
Simply put, I want to set up a Reliable 2way radio system so I can communicate with my family.. car to car or home to car over distances (e.g.: 1 mile to 300 miles) for the purpose of pimary daily use communication. The radios must be portable and slip into the car convert-a-com while driving.
Basically to replace cell phone useage and for emegency situations. I want to become self-sufficient
radio comm-wise instead of relying on cell/sat/pc systems.
As far as budget goes: Is money a problem... Money is always a problem but.. I will find resources nec.
Should I:
1) Contact a business band company?
2) Contact Motorola and get into their program and repeater network?
3) Join established amatuer Associations with reliable private repeater networks?
4) Install my own repeater?
5) Get my Ham License?
... Extended family, relatives, friends, neighbors have also expressed interest in this idea. All willing to
acquire radios/equip to be in communication with each other. (Approx 60)
Location: Chino Hills, Ca.
Thanks - Bill


Sep 8, 2002
300 mile range? FORGET IT. Not gonna happen. Use your cell phone.

A really GOOD repeater set up on a 400 foot tower might cover your whole county. Call it 50 miles in every direction at the fringe of coverage. Cost: High five figures, maybe six figures.

VHF and UHF (and above) are line of sight. If you can't see the antenna, you can't get a signal.

Even on the HF amateur radio bands, no band is going to give reliable communications from day to day and hour to hour on any HF band.
Sure, there will be times when that might work but it won't be always there and always working.

There MIGHT be multi-state commercial radio networks you could use that would do that, but I would not expect them to be particularly cheap to join up with.
Not open for further replies.