Careflite Radio ID's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottm467

Careflite 1-6 work off the DFW Trunked Radio System since they are in that area. Careflite 7 is new out of Burnet/Llano Co and works off the LCRA P25 system on talkgroup 6558. Most of the time, they will call their dispatcher and have them "patch" in the hospital. Usually by phone. So they give their patient reports that way. I know there is a new Medivac system in Waco but I haven't seen any frequencies for them yet. Find out where they are based out of A hospital? they may be on that hospital's system.
The new helicopter EMS in Waco is called Air Lift Texas and operated by Baylor, Scott and White, and Air Methods, a helicopter vendor. It is based at Waco Reg Airport.

nd5y

Could they be adding it to a trunked system eventually?
I doubt it. Air Methods probably got a local radio shop to set them up with something quick cheap and dirty. Maybe just until they apply for their own license or something. It could just be a paper trunked system. Check the other repeaters on the license and see if you hear anything at all.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
I doubt it. Air Methods probably got a local radio shop to set them up with something quick cheap and dirty. Maybe just until they apply for their own license or something. It could just be a paper trunked system. Check the other repeaters on the license and see if you hear anything at all.

I imagine that Air Methods needs at least a patch into the local systems down there. They have to speak to local FD/EMS somehow. Maybe they'll get their own talkgroup?

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Trying to figure out the CareFlite helo base locations

CF1 - Harris Fort Worth - opened 1979
CF2 - Methodist Dallas - opened 1979
CF3 - Granbury - opened 2006
CF4 - McKinney - opened ?2016? - 'is 7th base'
CF5 - Gainesville - opened 2017
CF6 - Whitney - opened 2014
CF7 - ??? - opened 2014
Denton - was in operation in 1999
Grand Prairie - was in operation in 1999
Burnet Airport / Buchanan Dam - opened 2021

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber

CF7 - ??? - opened 2014

I think the Mckinney one is based at the Mckinney National Airport.

Could be PHI, now that I look it up.

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
I imagine that Air Methods needs at least a patch into the local systems down there. They have to speak to local FD/EMS somehow. Maybe they'll get their own talkgroup?
The local radio frequencies are used by dispatch to talk to the crews/helos. The helos are the only ones that need to talk to the local PD/FD/EMS on the radio - so that's programmed in the aircraft radio. Dispatch just tells the helo what channel to meet them on.

rbarker

Robert

CF7 - ??? - opened 2014
CF7 - Is Temporarily based at Burnet, TX Airport, until their New Pad is ready at Buchanan Dam Community Center. just opened March 2021

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Both. PHI Med 2 is there as well.
I'm occasionally hearing Med 2 being dispatched, but they are responding from the Desoto Heliport. Some time ago, while having lunch at Ojedas in Desoto, which is just west of the heliport, I saw one PHI bird lifting off. I was in the restaurant, so no scanner handy. The Flightradar app showed him heading off towards the northeast part of Dallas County, though I did not 'follow along' to his destination. Upon leaving the restaurant, I circled around to get a better view of the facility. There were two additional PHI copters on the apron outside of the hanger area.

See this previous post and the attached picture. (It's from my phone, so not as clear & detailed as I like, but traffic was coming up behind me.)

Attachments

• Desoto Heliport.JPG
    Desoto Heliport.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 6

Harold

Premium Subscriber
I'm occasionally hearing Med 2 being dispatched, but they are responding from the Desoto Heliport. Some time ago, while having lunch at Ojedas in Desoto, which is just west of the heliport, I saw one PHI bird lifting off. I was in the restaurant, so no scanner handy. The Flightradar app showed him heading off towards the northeast part of Dallas County, though I did not 'follow along' to his destination. Upon leaving the restaurant, I circled around to get a better view of the facility. There were two additional PHI copters on the apron outside of the hanger area.

See this previous post and the attached picture. (It's from my phone, so not as clear & detailed as I like, but traffic was coming up behind me.)
I believe they use the Desoto Heliport as a Hanger Base and Training Center. Very often see and hear them on training flights south of the metro area. Those flights don't use a Med callsign when talking to Phoenix.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I believe they use the Desoto Heliport as a Hanger Base and Training Center. Very often see and hear them on training flights south of the metro area. Those flights don't use a Med callsign when talking to Phoenix.
Yep
I have heard a few state that they are responding from Desoto. The heliport has repair and fueling service available, as well as hangers. The hangers appear to resemble a large garage, one copter per slot.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is that what that is?

I was wondering why Frisco FD had a helipad.
Several years ago, CareFlite had a copter assigned to that location. Offhand, I can't recall if that unit was first moved to Denton, then moved again to Gainesville, or straight to Gainesville.

Status
Not open for further replies.