Carlsbad Caverns National Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Submitted to DB.

Operations, mainly occur on this channel in p25. (Caves/visitor center area)

164.60000 NAC 4CE

A repeater system is used in the caves which one will notice sign upon entering the natural entrance of radio wave radiation. Similar to a subway repeater system.

On the top the repeater is low power and you need to be within the area to hear.

Other operations occur on the listed channel and possible another outside the caves but it wasn't in use as nothing occurred.

Possible this is one used but needs more research as the hill is pretty good for rx of distant freqs.

170.0500 PL 127.3

Last edited:

ecps92

170.0500 127.3 is likely Sante Fe NF or NPS Bandelier National Monument
I've seen listings for both using the shared frequency
Submitted to DB.

164.60000 NAC 4CE

A repeater system is used in the caves which one will notice sign upon entering the natural entrance of radio wave radiation. Similar to a subway repeater system.

On the top the repeater is low power and you need to be within the area to hear.

Other operations occur on the listed channel and possible another outside the caves but it wasn't in use as nothing occurred.

Possible this is one used but needs more research as the hill is pretty good for rx of distant freqs.

170.0500 PL 127.3

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
170.0500 127.3 is likely Sante Fe NF or NPS Bandelier National Monument
I've seen listings for both using the shared frequency

Thanks the hill was getting several hits on federal. All in clear.

Ill post them here later today.

The park for sure is using now the old cav fire frequency mainly for everything. Not a peep or repeater tone on the old operations pair.

But I'd do more study before pulling it.

I had a ranger key up the first 4 channels and the 3 were doi admin, doi interior, and Chama but those are encrypted strapped minus chama.

Channel 1 was the noted above frequency with 4CE NAC.

They don't talk what so ever after 7pm with the whole bats show and how it effects the bats. They power off their apx single knobs.

The only one I noticed who kept his on was the LE ranger but he stayed a ways from the actual event area. He mainly was listening to state, and county traffic.

The one ranger seemed new and pretty lax on talking while a few others hesitated the radio talk or didn't know.

She did say they have a analog channel still for the caverns on same frequency but it was in another zone. Seemed they all parked on a county wide zone to monitor sheriff's on scan so nobody was in their home zone.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I'll just edit this post with findings in area of hits I got . All were clear both ends.

170.56250 NAC A05
171.18750 NAC 301
170.33750 NAC 301
170.05000 PL 127.3
172.72500 PL 141.3
169.93750 NAC 100
155.92500 PL 203.5
151.92500 DPL D031
154.78500 PL 141.3 *was Eddy county dispatcher unknown what though

Last edited:

ecps92

Answers in RED for Federal
Hope these help and maybe locals can chime in to affirm the $Axx NAC's

I'll just edit this post with findings in area of hits I got . All were clear both ends.

170.56250 NAC A05 - BP El Paso Sector "Y2" 3 sites
171.18750 NAC 301 - Could be CBP, but that is based on the NAC only
170.33750 NAC 301 - - Poss false hit, should be BP and NACs in the $Axx series
170.05000 PL 127.3
172.72500 PL 141.3 - BIA, unk Tribe/Agency as no record for 141.3
169.93750 NAC 100 - also going with False hit as it should be BP but NAc int he $Axx series

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Just to give insight I also put those in a zone on a fpp apx and they were receiving fine with the nacs the 436 hit on.

Thanks for insight. I was figuring some were cbp. It had a good long range view of the region on the mountain and the main interference I got was static on other channels in the 170mhz band which I ended up locking out.

There was some others stopping in 170mhz and saying LNK so I assume those ones were part of a trs in 170mhz but no audio just LNK on one's here and there.

I'll be checking the fcc listing for the normal 155mhz stuff today and see if I can place what it goes to.

I can say the one I'm pretty sure is a oil field operations on vhf just got to figure out which one with licensing unless they went through a dealer to license under their name.

The eddy county sheriff is pretty forward, there is countywide 1, then countywide 2 as secondary main dispatch all are listed in dB I confirmed those with my apx and looked at things from the recent updates we got in.

Chaves does indeed still use analog on some main sites on channel 1. There also is multiple TX nacs for it depending what site the deputy goes to.

Last edited:

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have the old PL tone for caverns on analog?

Disregard. Found it here,

So with what the one ranger said both analog can be used and digital but digital is the primary these days.

So one can either mix mode their channel or set 1 for p25 with 4CE and other with 173.8

Last edited:

kd7ckq

155.92500 PL 203.5 Input Mescalero Repeaters? 186.2 is the main Tone. I would imagine the three repeaters would have all unique tones.

Hope this helps.

Paysonscanner

Submitted to DB.

164.60000 NAC 4CE

170.0500 PL 127.3

Your post is nearly a month old so I hope what I have can still help. I was looking through my late husband's thick notebooks on radio stuff and found a frequency listing for the Alamogordo Interagency Dispatch Center or the Lincoln NF, but it has no date. Surprising as hubby was so meticulous about putting dates on everything. The listing has both Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mountains National Parks with a repeater on Bush Mtn.. with an output frequency of 169.7125 and a input freq. of 162.2375. The location is Bush Mtn., and there is a 127.3 tone on both transmit and receive. This matches with a 2016 Southwest GACC Comm Guide that shows the same frequencies/tone under Alamogordo dispatch labeled "NPS Fire." The undated list shows 164.6000 as simplex with no tones as "Carlsbad Caverns Direct" without a listed repeater. I wonder if that means the 164 freq is for underground and the 169 freq is above ground. Is there still a 3rd frequency or frequency pair for a law enforcement net for one or both parks? There is not mention of digital op on the listed freqs.

The only 170.0500 listing I found reads "NPS Dome." I saw a mention of this rpt. on the Cibola NF list of repeaters and map. It looks nearly due north of the Sandia Mtn. range by quite a distance. I don't know what park it would be for other than Bandalier or Valles Caldera, but Dome is so far east, as the Cibola map shows and it doesn't show up on the Santa FE NF rpt map. Hey, it's 0230, guess I'll need a sleeping pill tonite. I just found a listing, I'm not sure from what, dated 2014, with a line for 170.0500 for "Bandelier Fire" with a channel name of "DOMER." Could that be short for "Dome Repeater?" Is there another peak or mtn. named "Dome" closer to Los Alamos and Bandelier? Good night!

ecps92

Bandalier Dome likely is reference to
Bandalier National Monument and then the Dome Wilderness Area
170.0500 R / 169.4000 in - altho likely changed for the input with the NTIA changes occuring.

Your post is nearly a month old so I hope what I have can still help. I was looking through my late husband's thick notebooks on radio stuff and found a frequency listing for the Alamogordo Interagency Dispatch Center or the Lincoln NF, but it has no date. Surprising as hubby was so meticulous about putting dates on everything. The listing has both Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mountains National Parks with a repeater on Bush Mtn.. with an output frequency of 169.7125 and a input freq. of 162.2375. The location is Bush Mtn., and there is a 127.3 tone on both transmit and receive. This matches with a 2016 Southwest GACC Comm Guide that shows the same frequencies/tone under Alamogordo dispatch labeled "NPS Fire." The undated list shows 164.6000 as simplex with no tones as "Carlsbad Caverns Direct" without a listed repeater. I wonder if that means the 164 freq is for underground and the 169 freq is above ground. Is there still a 3rd frequency or frequency pair for a law enforcement net for one or both parks? There is not mention of digital op on the listed freqs.

The only 170.0500 listing I found reads "NPS Dome." I saw a mention of this rpt. on the Cibola NF list of repeaters and map. It looks nearly due north of the Sandia Mtn. range by quite a distance. I don't know what park it would be for other than Bandalier or Valles Caldera, but Dome is so far east, as the Cibola map shows and it doesn't show up on the Santa FE NF rpt map. Hey, it's 0230, guess I'll need a sleeping pill tonite. I just found a listing, I'm not sure from what, dated 2014, with a line for 170.0500 for "Bandelier Fire" with a channel name of "DOMER." Could that be short for "Dome Repeater?" Is there another peak or mtn. named "Dome" closer to Los Alamos and Bandelier? Good night!

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber

Dome repeater is most likely correct.

I'd have to check but if my memory isn't failing white sands runs on 170.050 repeater with nac and tone of 100/100.0 the input is a 169 I'd have to look at it but it's that I believe. (Just checked it and it's correct for sands)

Being down south a lot of the parks seem to follow the same pairs with various tones or uses and named in such per tone even if it's same frequency pairs.

Thank you. Any notes do help since there is a lot of federal here in this region.

Even issued radios or official frequencies sent to us we don't get them all from the feds or others, vice versa with many I noticed. IT usually lacks in current or accurate with the state end.

Seems more are common most likely you'd need to use are given and rest just tossed aside.

The NPS 162.7000 repeater LE uses at couple places down here is strapped encrypted. Seems it's mostly used as a side channel keeping main operations on the park frequency. I know they are strapped due to fact we were donated a few old radios with the keys removed and the programming had that channel strapped.

I know Lincoln National Forest has a LE channel that is strapped E but I have yet to find it since they can literally be using anything down here in the Fed zones.

But next time I'm out toward carlsbad I'll focus on the bush frequency and couple others to determine if they are the main repeater channel. They seem to stick to the simplex park frequency down in the caves and up top. But I know they have a mini setip for repeating off their main channel just wasn't able to find it or hear anything at time due to battery loss half way into caves and forgot the spares.

But I believe it can be safe to say the frequency you have with the tone of 127.3 is correct for both those 2 and used by both as I seen it elsewhere on a old note a forest buddy had. When I last talked to him he said the Caverns hasn't changed any minus their single knob apx 1000s from bendix kings.

Last edited:

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber

I believe though the direct Caverns frequency was csq in analog, and now is digital with a nac I listed. They did say they can use old analog but never do. So it would be wise to keep those notes and add the direct channel also as digital with nac I listed above.

Paysonscanner

Dome repeater is most likely correct.

I'd have to check but if my memory isn't failing white sands runs on 170.050 repeater with nac and tone of 100/100.0 the input is a 169 I'd have to look at it but it's that I believe. (Just checked it and it's correct for sands)

Being down south a lot of the parks seem to follow the same pairs with various tones or uses and named in such per tone even if it's same frequency pairs.

Thank you. Any notes do help since there is a lot of federal here in this region.

Even issued radios or official frequencies sent to us we don't get them all from the feds or others, vice versa with many I noticed. IT usually lacks in current or accurate with the state end.

Seems more are common most likely you'd need to use are given and rest just tossed aside.

The NPS 162.7000 repeater LE uses at couple places down here is strapped encrypted. Seems it's mostly used as a side channel keeping main operations on the park frequency. I know they are strapped due to fact we were donated a few old radios with the keys removed and the programming had that channel strapped.

I know Lincoln National Forest has a LE channel that is strapped E but I have yet to find it since they can literally be using anything down here in the Fed zones.

But next time I'm out toward carlsbad I'll focus on the bush frequency and couple others to determine if they are the main repeater channel. They seem to stick to the simplex park frequency down in the caves and up top. But I know they have a mini setip for repeating off their main channel just wasn't able to find it or hear anything at time due to battery loss half way into caves and forgot the spares.

But I believe it can be safe to say the frequency you have with the tone of 127.3 is correct for both those 2 and used by both as I seen it elsewhere on a old note a forest buddy had. When I last talked to him he said the Caverns hasn't changed any minus their single knob apx 1000s from bendix kings.

I've noticed that White Sands NM is not listed in any of the frequency directories my husband was able to get and didn't have anything in his notes either. White Sands doesn't have much of a wildland fire workload, if any at all, and most of the directories are published for fire management people traveling off their home units. I've never been to White Sands myself so I guess I can't really say.

As far as law enforcement nets, the entire federal government has a goal that all law enforcement traffic has to be encrypted in the future, but I've not run across an official due date. My husband told me about a federal law enforcement dispatch center in the Phoenix that dispatches for a number of land management agencies, most especially in AZ and NM. They use some type of satellite radio system that I know nothing about. I saw this center mentioned in a paper that examined dispatch center issues sometime in the last 2 weeks, but I'll be darned if I can find it. I remember hubby being surprised to hear about it maybe 3-5 years ago. I found a paper that discussed dispatch centers and workloads for the North/South Ops and the Southwest GACC's that was proposing consolidating down to about 2-3 centers in each of AZ and NM. They even discussed an alternative of ending up with one center in each state. My dad started shooting holes in any consolidations as he says its already too hard for dispatchers to know what is on the ground enough to be good at helping people. Of course during the early part of his career he was working for the FS they had ranger district dispatchers and about 1200 districts and are now consolidated down to around 400 I think..

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber

I confirm your NPS Bush frequency.

Same tone tx/rx, with same repeater and input. It is the same as when you had logged it.

I also ran into WIPP fire in the agency list.

Shows simplex with 167.8500 127.3

As Carlsbad one can assume they use the simplex channel for localized ops then anything needing dispatch the NPS bush for example. Im not sure if WIPP site fire used anything else but that is what is listed from a agency list.

Paysonscanner

I confirm your NPS Bush frequency.

Same tone tx/rx, with same repeater and input. It is the same as when you had logged it.

I also ran into WIPP fire in the agency list.

Shows simplex with 167.8500 127.3

As Carlsbad one can assume they use the simplex channel for localized ops then anything needing dispatch the NPS bush for example. Im not sure if WIPP site fire used anything else but that is what is listed from a agency list.

I'm new at this and don't know New Mexico well enough to know what "WIPP" stands for so I googled it. Just to make sure are you referring to the "Waste Isolation Pilot Plant?" I'll have to read more about it if that is the frequency you identified.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I'm new at this and don't know New Mexico well enough to know what "WIPP" stands for so I googled it. Just to make sure are you referring to the "Waste Isolation Pilot Plant?" I'll have to read more about it if that is the frequency you identified.

Correct the waste site that is stored deep in ground in similar caverns and sealed.

To answer the one question does caverns have a third or repeater channel, I believe so.

Seeing how they do white sands national park they have a main repeater, simplex channel, then law channel.

So cav rep would be most accurate listed though it would be toned, and probably mixed mode now with a NAC also. I hadn't heard a peep on it there.

Then cav fire would be the local ops, ems and fire ops simplex used down below and on top for on site chatter.

Then I'm thinking if they don't use any other NPS frequency for law they'd be using NPS bush for law and dispatch to a main head quarters which is microwaved or phone lined or satellite backed to Alamogordo. Maybe a mix of all 3 as backups.

White sands has NPS LAW but they never use it rarely they do but it's strapped these days. They stick to the main channel since local fire, law would be talking to them during medical and other issues.

Since it isn't a national park yet just monument they contract with Otero sheriff to run plates or traffic stops, anything pertaining to Law Enforcement.

I have heard them going out of service and in service with their localized dispatch in the museum, as well as checking out on stops or contacts then switching over to Otero fire or sheriff for whichever duty they are currently on.

I'm thinking caverns uses the simplex mostly since it's on site and to keep chatter local below and on top.

Then since they are a park they use the NPS bush or some other channel maybe the cav repeater channel.

I parked on it though and there wasn't any law enforcement issues or talk. When I got below I was in a tour and turned off my radio which had those programmed minus the cav rep for what ever reason state IT didn't have but left my 436 on. It didn't catch anything as far as I know but I'll go back and try to figure out if cav rep got a hit or if it changed. It definitely needs more study though to figure out if they just use bush mostly to check in at both parks or cav rep as well.

I do know in past when channels were limited and zones they would run the rx on csq or put the repeater in csq but have a tone for the inputs so my goal is to figure out what the input was for the cav rep as they tend to stick to that sites input as the rx tone.

Last edited:

lhillin

Premium Subscriber
Excellent information, the map and the color coded chart make all the frequency information clearer and more useful. Do you happen to have such information for the Big Bend Area of Texas ( Big Bend National Park, Fort Davis National historic site, etc.)?

Status
Not open for further replies.