Carnival Cruise ship frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I am taking a cruise next week out of Galveston on Carnival Magic. I know they used to have LTR systems but I can't find any listing in trunked systems for Carnival unless I'm looking in the wrong place. Any help?

ecps92

INCORRECT, there have been Scanners confiscated at the Security Check Points, however you are given a Receipt and can pick them up upon your return to port.

Your Milage May Vary (YMMV) - I've had Many Good, ONE Bad and One Fair experiences with bringing my Scanners on board.

Good - Never bothered, and use my head-phones
Fair - Hotel (Room) staff thought it was a Two-Way and reported me to security. Showed them that it was for RX only (They still are concerned about Amateur HF and RF issues, but classify it all as Amateur not just HF vs VHF etc)
Bad - never got past the shore security

Keep it low, put it in a computer bag with a laptop is typically the best route

Try this:

Cruise Ship and Maritime Monitoring

Nobody is going to take your scanner.

kf4br

Last edited:

ecps92

There have been varying reports on Carnival for years, some never Validated
First there was the Analog LTR reports.
Second there was the NexEdge (DMR) Reports (Feb 2012)
Then the validated Conventional use (DPL) Dec 2012

As pointed out go to the ScanMaritime.com web site it was updated back in March with the Magic info

Please share what you find, upon return.

Also, PM me here, or as that pages Webmaster and let me know the dates, I can provide you with a list of what other shiups you might encounter/hear while in the various ports.

Enjoy

I am taking a cruise next week out of Galveston on Carnival Magic. I know they used to have LTR systems but I can't find any listing in trunked systems for Carnival unless I'm looking in the wrong place. Any help?

biomedbob

Premium Subscriber
As ecps stated.....never validated.

With over 82 cruises under my belt, I've not only brought scanners with me, but marine transceivers. Usually have a crowd around me as we enter a new port with coms with the pilot and with the deck officers.

kf4br

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
So are the maritime channels in use between tugs and pilot boats and cruise ships when coming in and out of ports? I think I'll have to program them along with what I have for Magic so I don't miss anything! BTW, I'll be using a Pro 106.

biomedbob

Premium Subscriber
I don't know where you are cruising, but Bermuda is the most active port as far as marine coms are concerned. The harbor master can be heard about 4 hours before you actually reach port as there is lots of marine traffic that has to pick their way around shallow water into the harbors.

Then, if it is windy, the tug boats get into the action.

Just download the frequencies from the federal section of RR.

kf4br

lindsay34654

Scanner on cruise

Like they say out of sight out of mind keep it in you bags till you get off shore then if you want to use it, put it on your belt and throw a shirt over it. no one says you have to have it buttoned and also wear an ear plug that way you do not have to listen to the wife or kids nagging you every 5 mins. I used to work for Carnival as a luggage inspector and never once have I taken a scanner away from anyone, unless they were waving it around and bothering others with it.

They say you can't but you really can. also just like liquor they now make 5th's that look like shampoo bottles that you just pour it in and stick it in the luggage not the hand help. I have gotten away with it many times and I have been over 20 cruises

shadcall

I took a cruise on Princess Lines out of Ft. Lauderdale in January 2013 and took my Pro 106. I used it in our cabin and always with headphones. However while waiting to disembark when we got back I had it out on a table with antenna up and headphones on. The guy in charge of our area walked over and asked "Are you listening to us?" I told him nope, listening to police and fire. That was a bit of a lie as I was listening to them but didn't really hear much that day. I heard more marine traffic than anything else while waiting to get off the ship.

ecps92

Yes - program both the US and Int'l Pairs

Generally the ship will make contact with the Pilots approx 3-4 hrs out, then as they approach the meeting point.

The Ship will then make announcements as it transits into the Harbor for docking

PL/DPL search will not be needed on the Marine Channels, however use it on the 457/467 pairs

So are the maritime channels in use between tugs and pilot boats and cruise ships when coming in and out of ports? I think I'll have to program them along with what I have for Magic so I don't miss anything! BTW, I'll be using a Pro 106.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I have purchased (and resold) former Carnival-owned MTR2000 repeaters and Trident Raider LTR trunking controllers. I won't name the ship. I've had some of the radios that were part of the same system as well.

Without question, some Carnival ships have used UHF LTR systems based on Motorola radios.

That does not mean that they're using that NOW, or on all ships. I believe there is some variation in installed system type from one ship to another.

slapshot0017

So I have 3 questions.

1. Why are you not allowed to have an amateur radio on board? Isn't if you have a valid license and know the laws of the land at sea and in international countries aren't you allowed to operate?

2. Don't families bring radios on because its easier to use them to communicate with their each other than waste boatloads of money on roaming charges?

3. Why is it such a big deal if you are listening? What could possibly happen on a floating paradise?

I was thinking about bringing my VHF radio on my last cruise to listen to the maritime traffic, but my parents argued against it. I didn't think it was such a big deal because some one can go to a foreign country rent a boat and talk on a radio all they want. Some people even take their own boat so whats the difference? I don't think there's harm in it.

That's just my 2 cents. I'll probably be proved wrong, but that is how you learn.

ecps92

As to #1 My experience and answer from Officials at various lines has been
it is based on HF Operations and the Concern of Long-Wire antennas hanging off the balcony, however trying to get across to the lawyers/powers-to-be that Amateur is too much of a blanket statement is a long process.

#1 and # 2 - Other responses have been potential VHF/UHF interference to the ships operation (where I then usually interject about the FRS/GMRS they allow - again lawyers ugh)

#3 - that is the fun, listening to the Lost (err drunk) passengers who are late (stuck at Carlos n Charlies) and/or the other events (Medical) etc You would be surprised to hear what happens. My Last cruise we had one cabin that was Secured (Large acrylic locking device over the door mechanism) and the two occupants left behind in-port (aka In-Custody) and the only folks with the key to the room now was Ft Lauderdale PD :)

So I have 3 questions.

1. Why are you not allowed to have an amateur radio on board? Isn't if you have a valid license and know the laws of the land at sea and in international countries aren't you allowed to operate?

2. Don't families bring radios on because its easier to use them to communicate with their each other than waste boatloads of money on roaming charges?

3. Why is it such a big deal if you are listening? What could possibly happen on a floating paradise?

I was thinking about bringing my VHF radio on my last cruise to listen to the maritime traffic, but my parents argued against it. I didn't think it was such a big deal because some one can go to a foreign country rent a boat and talk on a radio all they want. Some people even take their own boat so whats the difference? I don't think there's harm in it.

That's just my 2 cents. I'll probably be proved wrong, but that is how you learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.