Carolina Balloon Fest (Statesville)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to Carolina Balloon Fest in Statesville, NC this weekend (10/22/2011). (Wife's work thing :p)

I was curious which freqs would be good to listen to while there. I am thinking GMRS, Airport Tower/Ground, Iredell County (Conventional and VIPER), Statesville P25 system. I have a GRE PSR 500.

Do hot air ballons use radios? Do they have to commuicate with local air traffic control? ground?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
I went a few years ago and remember a lot of the balloon guys using GMRS/MURS and a few common business itinerant channels. I don't recall much activity from the KSVH side, the balloon even isn't right at the airport, it was off the airfield several hundred yards. Statesville unicom is 123.075 and the local air traffic is controlled by Atlanta center on 125.150.

The public safety comms have changed quite a but since I went last but I imagine Iredell TRS will be active. Not sure if they have 800Mhz simplex TAC channels to use but that might also be an option.

pboy

Currently the Statesville P25 has been abandoned by all users.

The system has been plagued with coverage issues.

You can check it, but don't be suprised by no activity whatsoever.

drayd48

Balloon

I live in statesville and crew for hot air balloons and most of them use the radio frequency of 151.625 and some use the FRS radios

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I live in statesville and crew for hot air balloons and most of them use the radio frequency of 151.625 and some use the FRS radios

Please check the date of threads before responding to them.
This thread was over 3 years old.
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.