Carroll County, MD and MSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

User047

I work in Pennsylvania as a police officer bordering MD. I was wondering, If I get a trunked scanner would I be able to listen to transmissions from Carroll County Sheriff's Office and MSP?? The reason I am asking is because I am unsure if they are encrypted. If the channels are not encrypted, what are the frequencies? If anyone has first hand knowledge on this you can pm me. Thanks

baybum

Do you have a scanner now?
If you have a scanner that can receive 800, you can enter the control channels and see if you get the "motorboating" noise.
If you do, then you can get a trunking scanner and listen to Carroll County.

The Frequencies are right here in this web site....in the Database section.

User047 said:
I work in Pennsylvania as a police officer bordering MD. I was wondering, If I get a trunked scanner would I be able to listen to transmissions from Carroll County Sheriff's Office and MSP?? The reason I am asking is because I am unsure if they are encrypted. If the channels are not encrypted, what are the frequencies? If anyone has first hand knowledge on this you can pm me. Thanks

Carroll Co. is not encryped. Use the Database for Freq and Talkgroups www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=381

powerhouse

Hi Rusty
I live in Northern Carroll Co. bordering Pennsylvania and yes, a trunk tracking scanner will be able to hear the Carroll County Sheriff's office and MSP. The frequencies are not encrypted. See the data base for Carroll Co. and it will list all of the frequencies and talk groups that are available. One note that you may be interested in is the town of Manchester uses the Sheriff's dept. "central" talk group . They used to have their own and I believe that our "auxilliary" police use the old Manchester talk group. I don't know about the other municipalities i.e. Hampstead, Taneytown etc.
Hope this helps you out.
You can post here or pm me if you wish with any additional questions. I'd be happy to help you out if I can.
Dean
"powerhouse"

warrior123

Premium Subscriber

carroll county PD.Sheriff now is on 791.865625mhz.The DEC is 10349
GBU.\0/.

riveter

Premium Subscriber

FYI, for the system noted above you don't currently need a P25 Phase II TDMA capable scanner to listen to MSP on there - as the DB shows, their talkgroups are listed as "D" for FDMA. However, they will migrate to Maryland FiRST as that system rolls out through the area, so if you're looking to make a good investment to maintain your SA as time goes on, I would suggest investing in a TDMA-capable scanner rather than simply going halfway. I've been down that road before, and I think I made a smart choice by getting the PSR-800 when I did rather than something less capable.

Any questions or more in-depth Q/A you need, feel free to PM me brother.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I know, which the above frequency is not in the list of freqs for the new system.

This: "carroll county PD.Sheriff now is on 791.865625mhz.The DEC is 10349" is incorrect - not even a valid frequency for the 700 band.

marksmith

Sorry,but this is the correct FREQ,because i listen to carroll sheriff on that Freq.on my WS-1065 Digital double voice Scanner.God-bless\0/
It might sound better on the correct frequency.
See the RR database for the new phase 2 system on 800mz.

Not doubting you might hear something on that frequency but its not a licensed frequency. They are on the trucked system.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Sorry,but this is the correct FREQ,because i listen to carroll sheriff on that Freq.on my WS-1065 Digital double voice Scanner.God-bless\0/

An RF image doesn't mean you won't hear traffic. You might even hear it with consistent clarity. However, the RF image frequency is the product of a function that results from the way radios receive and demodulate RF energy - it will display and receive like a valid true frequency, but is not the real frequency on which the RF energy is actually being broadcast.

I encourage you to take note of the comments of those above me directing you to the recorded actual frequencies. These people have largely been around far longer than me and have a pretty good idea of what they're talking about, and they're quite keen to help you out (as am I). Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.