Carroll EMS freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsem

I am looking at getting my wife, who is an EMT, her own 2-way radio that she can keep with her medical gear while off duty.
Looking at the database here it seems carroll EMS dispatch is VHF and trunk channels are around 770 MHz P25 phase 2. Most radios I have seen, like Motorola XTS 3000 don't seem to operate below 800 MHz.
Am I missing something here?

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
Sir,

There are so many implications to having your own 2 way radio with out having consent to operate on a trunked radio system. You can receive a fine from the FCC that can range in the thousands of dollars a day that you operate, you can also be investigated by the local police department as to how you accessed the system. Its not just as easy as you would think.

If she gets permission to operate on the system, then Carroll County will specify the radio that is needed to operate on their system.

I think your best bet is to buy a scanner.

Halsem

Thanks for the caution. I assumed that as she was a licensed EMT stationed at a Fire House that she would be allowed to have a radio but I admit that a scanner would be a safe bet.

troymail

Silent Key
I am looking at getting my wife, who is an EMT, her own 2-way radio that she can keep with her medical gear while off duty.
Looking at the database here it seems carroll EMS dispatch is VHF and trunk channels are around 770 MHz P25 phase 2. Most radios I have seen, like Motorola XTS 3000 don't seem to operate below 800 MHz.
Am I missing something here?

I suspect that "personal" (two-way, transmitting) radios are frowned upon and/or are not even permitted by the County - the owner of the system. At most, I'd think Carroll *might* allow the Chief of a company (and/or possibly head of the EMS side of the house), and maybe a rotating "duty" member(s) to have a radio but that isn't certain.

Sounds like it's possibly a gift and/or you want it to be surprise. To be safe and save the hassle, I recommend that you contact the head of the organization (Chief, EMS Captain, etc.) your wife is affiliated with for clear guidance.

As was said above - if it's just to monitor activity, best bet is to pick up a scanner or maybe even a Minitor pager (assuming she doesn't already have one).

Halsem

I appreciate the caution.
Yes it would be a gift.
Yes she gets the text notifications of calls.
I don't want her to have an overly complex scanner but because Carroll uses P25 phase 2, it seems like I would need a fairly expensive scanner.
I don't mind doing the programming of a scanner so that it just switches on and listens to the channels she needs. Whats the lowest cost way to do this outside of an iPhone app, which works but doesn't have great sound quality and sucks the battery dry.

ocguard

I appreciate the caution.
Yes it would be a gift.
Yes she gets the text notifications of calls.
I don't want her to have an overly complex scanner but because Carroll uses P25 phase 2, it seems like I would need a fairly expensive scanner.
I don't mind doing the programming of a scanner so that it just switches on and listens to the channels she needs. Whats the lowest cost way to do this outside of an iPhone app, which works but doesn't have great sound quality and sucks the battery dry.

Fairly expensive scanner? A Phase 2 scanner is about $500. A Phase 2 subscriber radio is going to be at least $3,000.

If you have money to spend, take a at Unication P25 pagers which can monitor Carroll County's paging frequency, activate when her station is paged, AND monitor the P25 talk groups with reportedly excellent reliability.

As a side note, you don't want to rely fully on any iPhone app for primary dispatch notification. These rely on third party carriers and could fail or be greatly delayed without prior notice. The best bet is to have a pager on Carroll County's VHF paging frequency, which her department SHOULD issue, so long as she is a trained, actively responding member.

ResQguy

Meh

I got my wife (also a FF/EMT) a BCD325P2 and only programmed in the bare minimum. With the keypad locked, it's pretty darn easy to operate. That was before the Unication pagers became available though, they are rock solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.