Carrollton PD rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ims

There was radio traffic this evening where the CPD dispatch indicated that some units were out of service at the radio shop for "rebanding". I don't see any new frequencies on the FCC web page for their license so don't believe that their system is currently being rebanded. Any ideas on what rebanding is currently in progress here?

I know that they use the Lewisville system as a backup, but that system's rebanding is delayed (most recent delay notice was March 8, 2010 where they were granted an "Extension of Time for Consummation of Assignment of Authorization" until September 30, 2010).

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I imagine they, like many other area trunked radio system users, are in the process of upgrading and replacing radios, so that when the actual changing of frequencies happens, the radios will be ready for the switch. I would guess there are a couple thousand radios on that system, so they have to make sure each and everyone is ready to roll, before the frequencies can be switched. I don't know for certain, but I imagine the firmware in the "rebanded" radios will know to switch to the rebanded frequenices, once the control channel drops from the current frequencies. With Irving and Richardson, it seems like once the FCC license popped up, it was within a month or so that the switch was made.

DickH

... I don't know for certain, but I imagine the firmware in the "rebanded" radios will know to switch to the rebanded frequenices, once the control channel drops from the current frequencies. ...

No need to do anything for the simulcasst system. Those freqs. will not change. The TAC 1, 2 & 3 freqs. will go down to the 851-854 range, so just subtract 15MHz from them. You can add them to your scanners now and when they do change you'll never know the difference (unless you look at your display).

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
No need to do anything for the simulcasst system. Those freqs. will not change. The TAC 1, 2 & 3 freqs. will go down to the 851-854 range, so just subtract 15MHz from them. You can add them to your scanners now and when they do change you'll never know the difference (unless you look at your display).

Oops, I was thinking the Carrollton system was using 868Mhz frequencies. However, I guess Lewisville and any other systems they have programmed that are going through rebanding would be reason for them to get updated, along with the conventional interop stuff you mentioned.

DickH

... I guess Lewisville and any other systems they have programmed that are going through rebanding would be reason for them to get updated, along with the conventional interop stuff you mentioned.

Lewisville is nearly the same as Carrollton. 9 freqs. will not change. Only 868.4250 will change to 853.4250. That will require re-programming of newer scanners. For older scanners, there is a work around.
Leave it set up as it is now, simply add 853.4250 as a conventional freq. Make sure delay is off. It will go through the trunked freqs., then sample 853.4250. If it is in use it will stop on it. Hopefully it will be the conversation you are listening to.
It's not a perfect solution, but you should hear just about everything without needing a new scanner.

SCPD

QRT
Last I heard, and Ben you would have heard this from the same person I have. The Metroplex wasn't going to reband or change much until after the Super bowl.

Ben, When (Whats his name) gets back from IWCE we all need to go eat BBQ and swap info in his NEW livingroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.