BCT15X: Carrying case

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4UXQ

I would like to make my BCT15X portable. I envision a soft case type deal similar to an upright camera case in which the scanner would sit with the face upward with the top case flap/cover open, a slim 12V gel cell in the bottom and a way to secure some type of antenna to the side of the case. I am checking dimensions of this type of case online, but there is so much to look at. I do have a BCD396XT so suggesting a handheld is not really what I am looking for. The BCT15X performs so well monitoring VHF and UHF air bands I would like to be able to make it portable for this.

Has anyone done this and what have you found that worked?

JamesO

I believe that Scanner Master used to make one for the 780XLT scanner that would be basically very similar to the BC15X?

I did not see it on their website, but you could call and ask as well as search ebay or other vendors that may have old stock.

Picture from a supplier that used to carry them - http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/0347.html

You may also be able to installed a battery pack inside the scanner using NiMah batteries configured to fit?? I know someone did with with a Radio Shack/GRE digital scanner.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Off the top of my head.

Get a soft shell cooler for it.

bag-insulated.png

Then, stab some holes in it for audio. Or use an external speaker.

Pop open the top to operate the scanner.

Antenna? Use some coax and either a mag mount antenna on your car or whatever. I wouldn't try mounting the antenna on a soft shell cooler. You could try it?

KD4UXQ

I believe that Scanner Master used to make one for the 780XLT scanner that would be basically very similar to the BC15X?

I did not see it on their website, but you could call and ask as well as search ebay or other vendors that may have old stock.

Picture from a supplier that used to carry them - Carry Case for 780XLT Scanner

You may also be able to installed a battery pack inside the scanner using NiMah batteries configured to fit?? I know someone did with with a Radio Shack/GRE digital scanner.

Now that case would have been nice. I'll check it out. Thx

KD4UXQ

Off the top of my head.

Get a soft shell cooler for it.

bag-insulated.png

Then, stab some holes in it for audio. Or use an external speaker.

Pop open the top to operate the scanner.

Antenna? Use some coax and either a mag mount antenna on your car or whatever. I wouldn't try mounting the antenna on a soft shell cooler. You could try it?

Not quite the right size, but a possibility. Thx

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Not quite the right size, but a possibility. Thx

Yeah I know it's not exactly the right size. You'd have to do your own search with the dimensions, etc. my post was to give you the general idea. It's up to you to find the right one.

Good luck.

KD4UXQ

This Case-Logic Camera bag fits quite nicely

Amazon.com : Case Logic TBC-409 DSLR Shoulder Bag : Camera Cases : Electronics

The bag fit is near perfect with 1 inch foam added to the bottom to lift it up some and allow for a right angle bnc adapter and right angle power plug. With the mounting bracket on the radio pointing down as if using it as the base, it adds the right amount of space inside for speaker clearance. Not drilling any holes in the case. Will slip the wires out thru the top and zipper the case to one corner to close it.

I have also ordered a 4500mAH Li-ion battery with charger to power it. I may have to change the coaxial power connector on the cable from the battery. Not sure the size that comes with it. Also plan to fuse it.
Amazon.com : Portable DC 12V 4500mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Battery for CCTV Camera Wireless Camera / Baby Monitor, Digital Camera, CD/MD : Baby

I could not find current draw specs, so I measured the current draw to be 0.25 amps squelched and 0.4 amps un-squelched at full volume. Averaging the two which is probably generous, I could expect at least 10 hours operation with the 4500mAH battery. Interested to see how it actually works out.

Working on a portable antenna solution, but the pockets on the side of the case will permit some type of antenna using a BNC cable. I intend to fashion some type of mount that slips inside the side pocket with a female BNC for mounting an antenna or connecting an external antenna mounted elsewhere.

The fit of the bag is almost as if it were made for it. There is plenty of room for the thumb screw knobs on the mounting bracket.

JamesO

Shot some pictures when you get further along and let us know how the battery works out.

Can you easily install the scanner and lay the bag flat and be able to see/use the front panel controls easily?

KD4UXQ

Shot some pictures when you get further along and let us know how the battery works out.

Can you easily install the scanner and lay the bag flat and be able to see/use the front panel controls easily?
YES

I will get some photos and share them. Hope to get the battery soon. Didn't order both at the same time. Wasn't sure the case would fit. But it fits very well. My BCD396XT is more portable, but the BCT15X performs so much better on the VHF and UHF aviation bands it will be nice to have it portable. It's fun when you vacation somewhere there is activity.

Last edited:

KD4UXQ

I use this for my road trip room radios. The inside is adjustable I can have 2-3 hand held radios plus I have a BCT15XT and RS Pro-197 that I have that stay in the case just for trips. I am in San Francisco a lot during football season and my girlfriend lives in Orange County so I am down south too.
Ultimate Tote Bag - Tote Bags - Tote Bags, Binoculars, & Stopwatches - For Race Fans

I didn't think to check with them. Their corporate office is a couple miles from where I work in Concord NC near the Charlotte Motor Speedway. So many times I wish I had the idea their founder had back in the late 80's. They started out with scanners and programming at the track. Now they also supply race teams with 2 way gear. Turned into a pretty good business.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

Picture from a supplier that used to carry them - Carry Case for 780XLT Scanner

Unfortunately, these were discontinued many years ago. I use one for the 536 and another for a Pro-197. The DIN size makes it universal. Apparently there was just not enough interested parties to keep selling it.

Maybe if enough folks asked Scanner Master for one they would bring it out of mothballs?

Status
Not open for further replies.