• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Car's built in GPS with Uniden Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I’m currently shopping for a new vehicle, and I will likely be going with a 2014-15 Ford Taurus. I’m planning to mount a BCD536HP and I would like to integrate a GPS.

I would like to avoid a separate GPS receiver and/or GPS antenna if possible. Since the car has navigation, a GPS receiver and GPS antenna onboard, has anyone had success in using a car’s built in GPS receiver with a Uniden scanner?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
This question often comes up with amateur radio operators who use APRS.

The answer is generally "no". Uniden scanners, and APRS trackers, require NMEA data strings from the GPS receiver and there's usually no way to get real-time NMEA data from an OEM in-car sat-nav device.

BTW, I know people who are very unhappy with Ford's sat-nav system. You might want to do some research on that topic and also find out what it will cost to get updates to the map data. While not integrated into the instrument panel, a Garmin GPS receiver with navigation will only cost you a few hundred dollars and can be purchased with lifetime map updates.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
How is everyone mounting GPS antennas (for scanners or ham radios) in the car? I really don’t want it on the outside, or in the front windshield. I might be ok with it on the inside of the back window. Also, being in AZ, I will have some serious tint on the back window. Will the tinting interfere with GPS reception?

Last edited:

ve3zo

I run APRS in my 2008 Charger...my GPS puck is on the dash in the far right corner. This keeps it far away from the passenger side airbag. The wire is tucked away under the dash. I have never had a reception issue. I am also using the GPS puck to feed 2 radios..my D710 and the homepatrol.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I agree with VE3ZO. You can easily mount a puck-type GPS receiver on the top of the dashboard at the far right with some double-sided tape or velcro. On the rear package shelf would also be a good option. Remember that a puck-type GPS receiver will require a power source and usually at 5 volts. Check the Byonics web site for GPS receivers and accessories.

sfd119

I have a Puck on my roof of my truck, great reception.

But my actual Garmin GPS is below the dash and I get reception as well.

My point is, as long as it has a shot out to the window, it should work just fine.

scottyhetzel

How is everyone mounting GPS antennas (for scanners or ham radios) in the car? I really don’t want it on the outside, or in the front windshield. I might be ok with it on the inside of the back window. Also, being in AZ, I will have some serious tint on the back window. Will the tinting interfere with GPS reception?

Most window films have metal in them to reflect radiation. An easy way to find out is to microwave a small piece. The center of the dash is better...corner pillar shields the signal. If your radio is at the top of the dash you can pull it amend mount it on the top of the metal sleeve. The best is to mount it on the exterior...

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
This is an interesting idea. I was planning to drill a 3/8" hole in the trunk lid for an NMO mount for the scanner antenna. I might consider the larger 3/4" hole to get both scanner and GPS antennas. Awesome solution!

W8VFD

Feed Provider
I was running mobile APRS with laptop/TNC/radio with a USB GPS receiver, the GPS receiver just sat on my dash with some double sided tape with no receive issues. Not sure what brand it was, it was about the size of a Zippo Lighter.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have had great success using a small matchbook sized GPS antenna for my old Garmin GPS-III+ velcroed to the inside of the nearest window in my various mobile installations. I also had good luck with the Uniden puck in the same position. Since my radios were usually mounted in back this kept it out of view and the rear windows didn't have any type of metallic film. I did try to avoid those windows with defrosters or radio antennas imbedded in them however.

As for trying to leach off the GPS from internal nav systems; I had no success figuring out how. They are far too integrated into the cars these days to do anything like that without major vehicular surgery.

15d62b979bff56cbfc867a6e9a63407e.jpg
92e3d8316411130214d3e91961680acd.jpg

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The center of the dash is better...corner pillar shields the signal... The best is to mount it on the exterior...

Honestly, for GPS it really does not matter where it is mounted in the cabin. I have a Nuvi mounted on the driver side pillar, and have ZERO issues with where it is located. A friend of mine has a GPS puck between the headliner and roof and he has no issues either.

For GPS L1(what ALL consumer navigation uses) almost every puck receiver, or external antenna are active, meaning they have preamps in them, and are VERY sensitive(-125dBm-ish). Location is really not all that critical. Whether it is inside or exterior or on an A pillar will make little difference if any at all.

I know of another guy that has the greenlight labs receiver mounted to the back of a D710 that is mounted in a coffee cup holder kinda under the dash of his car, and he has no issue with Receiving GPS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking in front of the shifter, under the climate controls. There is a "junk storage" compartment that I think I can remove and it should give me plenty of room for the radio. I'm not entirely sure until I start looking a little closer.

I might start another topic to discuss how everyone else is doing it, and what they are using for mounting hardware. In order to not take this thread off topic, send me a Private Message if you have any suggestions on mounting the radio in a Taurus.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Not to get into my poor experiences with Ford…generally it's impossible to get NEMA from modern nav systems as it's usually 1 combined board and to dick with it is to throw your warranty out the window like a cooking hand grenade.

Pre-2004 On Star systems have separate units…the GPS module can be hacked but it renders On Star non-functional (as it runs off a different data format). GM likes to use square tubing for the steering column support that runs under the dash…I have 2 GPS receivers sitting on mine, about 2" under the dash with a clear view of the sky through the windshield.

Status
Not open for further replies.