Cartel communications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
There are several videos on YouTube where the Cartels are shooting it out with each other or law enforcement and you see a video of a guy holding a Mototrbo radio decoding Cartel audio. These radios often have the contact groups populated, which indicates it is a legit radio and not someone who stumbled onto the correct programming and keys. In my very limited experience south of the border, the cartel equipment (vehicles, weapons, electronics, people) were very much off limits to the locals. The cartel equipment could be left out in the open ready to go and it would not be bothered at all by locals.

Picking up a cartel radio, recording a video of them communicating during a shootout, and then posting it online would attract the kinds of attention that could shorten ones lifespan. My guess is either the person is dead or very close to it. TT

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Most communications are likely simplex portable to portable communications. You would need to be very close and find the frequency. You can't just search "cartel" in the FCC database and find the frequencies.

If they use repeaters, it is likely MOTOTRBO encrypted. MOTOTRBO radios that support enhanced encryption are available for around $95 for a TYT radio, or around $400 for a more rugged Motorola. Even if they are only using simplex, they are likely encrypted, so not much to listen to.

In 2011, the Mexican army sized a very large cartel network including 155 repeaters. They have likely rebuilt a smaller system by now.

Last edited:

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Interesting question, but I wouldn't want to be close enough to those blood-thirsty savages to pick up their handheld simplex. If they caught you using radio receivers to listen to them while out on foot or mobile they might hack you to bits...slowly.

KG7PBS

There are several videos on YouTube where the Cartels are shooting it out with each other or law enforcement and you see a video of a guy holding a Mototrbo radio decoding Cartel audio. These radios often have the contact groups populated, which indicates it is a legit radio and not someone who stumbled onto the correct programming and keys. In my very limited experience south of the border, the cartel equipment (vehicles, weapons, electronics, people) were very much off limits to the locals. The cartel equipment could be left out in the open ready to go and it would not be bothered at all by locals.

Picking up a cartel radio, recording a video of them communicating during a shootout, and then posting it online would attract the kinds of attention that could shorten ones lifespan. My guess is either the person is dead or very close to it. TT

can you post the name of the videos. I just tried looking for them.Mototrbo radio decoding Cartel audio. Nothing came up.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
That's like calling all P25 stuff ASTRO25...all ASTRO25 is P25 but not all P25 is ASTRO25.
ASTRO 25 has never been P25.. It is a Motorola sales tactic to sell something that had a 25 in its name to confuse folks..It was NEVER part of the APCO standard P25 protocol.. 3600 Baud Vs 9600 Baud..

Status
Not open for further replies.