Cascade County

Status
Not open for further replies.

GFscanner

I have heard from many confirmed sources within GFPD that they are starting to go "digital" very soon. Sounds like they are starting to transition to Interop\A25 project?

I am the owner of Great Falls Scanner and have been providing the Cascade County feed for over 4 years now and would love to continue to do so. Great Falls Scanner | Emergency and Police Scanner Live Feed | Great Falls, MT | Cascade County

Am I looking at a digital triple trunking system like a GRE PSR600 scanner now to keep things going? I have an older PRO-126 at the moment that I see no point in keeping around given the state of the departments shifting to Project 25. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

akuter

Premium Subscriber
Most of my radios are Uniden so not much help w/the PSR600. My 396T works great on the State P25 system. Bozeman still has PD simulcasting on its conventional freq for over 6 months to work out the bugs. It's just a digitalized voice. Don't throw away the analog radio yet.

bigsky109

I just ordered a GRE PSR-800 since my old PRO528 is becoming obsolete with the digital broadcasts. It is really interesting and the scanner provides a better insight to the community and the ongoing crimes that are being committed. Seems like the local media is a HUGE filter and leaves out a LOT of information.

DannyM86

Premium Subscriber
GF Police

Do we know what Great Falls PD is using today? The database has VHF digital and analog and the old UHF. I dont see them on the State system.

bigsky109

They started using their own P25 digital system thanks to homeland security backing. Looks like they can enter into talk groups on the state system though if necessary. They also talk about going fully encrypted! I hope they stay in the clear so the public can monitor our tax paid service. Here is the article in the local paper: Scanners going digital | Great Falls Tribune | greatfallstribune.com

PS....Frequencies used are from the local paper:
"CHANGING CHANNELS
The Great Falls Police Department's switch to a digital VHF radio system means that current analog scanners will no longer work after the department's transition period of Feb. 6 - Feb. 8. After that time, the new frequencies will be:
Channel 1: 155.0100
Channel 2: 159.1650
Talk around (car-to-car communication): 159.0600
These channels will only be heard on a digital scanner, which can be purchased at most electronic specialty stores. It may be wise to invest in a dual analog-and-digital scanner since other agencies, such as the Cascade County Sheriff's Office, Great Falls Fire/Rescue and emergency medical personnel, will continue to use analog radio signals."
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/ar...nner-junkies-soon-will-need-digital-equipment

Last edited:

bigsky109

Is it just me or does it seem that there is more traffic on the Sheriff side of the radio than the GFPD? I also noticed that in the latest standoff with an armed man that the new system is not reliable. There were many instances when the transmissions were garbled and they had to re-transmit. I also noticed that the local Sheriff had to "borrow" a GFPD radio to talk to GFPD. Seem interopability is not very good as well. I guess it will get better in the future.

PS. So far the new PSR800 is doing it's job. Nice radio!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.