Case Repaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
no didnt stick too bad at all honestly, problably newspaper would be better but didnt have access to it

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have used hammered finish from Lowes.

Plus 1 there! I have repainted a few 780, BCT15 and 996 cases that had gotten pretty scratched up over the years with hammered black spray paint and it looked almost indistinguishable from new.

Years back I had a friend with a sandblast booth so took all my 780 cases to him and he blasted away the old paint. Then I used hammered black Rustoleum spray paint and they looked like they just came out of the box.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Are those pictures with the paint wet or dry? I can't tell if it's a glossy finish.

I like some of those as well.
was semi wet, the dried finish is pretty much the same as the original paint i think, i might try to find a place to glassbead or sandblast it at some point

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
All this talk about painting scanners give me an idea. For something different you could color code your scanners:

Blue = Police
Red = Fire
Orange = EMS
Gray = Air Bands
OD Green = Military

I've seen ICOM IC-R7200's in various colors:

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
no didnt stick too bad at all honestly, problably newspaper would be better but didnt have access to it

DON'T use newspapers! The paint dries to the newspapers and when you the scanner cover up newspaper will come with it. The best is to hang it like previously stated, or used wood to sit it on.

Mike

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Something I've thought about doing with a couple of radios here. Good tip about suspending case with fishing line, K4EET!

K4RBT

I bought a used 996T and the previous owner had taken off the case and used a din sleeve (which he lost) and the case got scratched up. I am adding a "discriminator" (they do not have a real discriminator but a quadrature detector) for testing and looking at interference, distortion (a lot of amateur radio repeaters have terrible audio). Since the case is already off, I am going to paint it. I saw the Rust-oleum hammer finish paint at Walmart. Going to use plastic media as it will not excessively eat the metal up. I wish DuPont sill made their High Build vinyl paint, used in the early 70's to simulate a vinyl roof, as it is a thicker, more resistant to scratching, but it is gone. Zolatone also has a nice texture, but expensive.
That is what I was going to use to refinish a CentraCom console to replace the white vinyl ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.