Catalina fire dept radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
I was at Catalina Island over the weekend and did a short trip to the Fire Dept. I snapped a picture of the inside of one of the rigs and forgot to ask the what the Tmac16 was on the side of the radios. Anybody have a clue what it represents?

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
I was at Catalina Island over the weekend and did a short trip to the Fire Dept. I snapped a picture of the insid e of one of the rigs and forgot to ask the what the Tmac16 was on the side of the radios. Anybody have a clue what it represents?

TMAC (TACTICAL MUTUAL AID CHANNEL PLAN): This was developed by the Los Angeles County Fire Department for use with local and outside agencies during large-scale incidents. The plan enables units to talk to most all fire agencies but it also includes; law, ambulance, state, federal, metrolink, etc.

Likely just saying the most recent revision of the channel plan inside the radios.

PaulNDaOC

P25radio, did you notice a VHF-Low radio in their rigs? They are supposed to be dispatched by the front desk at Avalon Sheriff's Station on low-band.

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
I did but did not get a picture of the radio itself. I also noted vhf low band antenna on the rigs at the call.

jrholm

P25radio, did you notice a VHF-Low radio in their rigs? They are supposed to be dispatched by the front desk at Avalon Sheriff's Station on low-band.

They are. And on actual working fires there is also an old fashioned air raid siren to alert the paid call guys that is backed up by pagers.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
They are. And on actual working fires there is also an old fashioned air raid siren to alert the paid call guys that is backed up by pagers.
My department dispatches via SMS, radio and air raid siren. Living less than 100 from it makes.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

PaulNDaOC

I've seen the air raid siren thing in Yolo County up north for the vollies too.

I've wondered the havoc one could unleash on a small town with a recording of the tone-out and a King Radio.

jrholm

I've seen the air raid siren thing in Yolo County up north for the vollies too.

I've wondered the havoc one could unleash on a small town with a recording of the tone-out and a King Radio.
The one on the island turned out to be right outside my bedroom window the night there was a structure fire

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
Radios - Avalon Fire Dept

I wish I had seen this post sooner. I live in Avalon, so I try to be on top of any communications that happen in town. (Including a Netflix film crew this week ;-) )

Avalon Fire uses Motorola CDM1250's for mobile radios, and PR860's for handhelds. They do use low band simplex, which at times can be difficult and problematic to receive, even for them. The harbor patrol uses the same mobiles (in their boats), but they use HT750's and 1250's for handhelds.

If anyone has any other radio questions about Avalon (or visit-related questions), feel free to reply or send me a PM.

- K6GLS

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
AVASCAN522...

AVASCAN522, can you post your frequency list for the island? What are the best channels/frequencies to monitor?

PaulNDaOC

Avascan522

Does the dispatcher at Avalon Sheriff's Station dispatch Avalon Baywatch, and/or Isthmus Baywatch? Also interested in what method is used to alert them to an emergency..

I'm guessing County Fire dispatch is not the source, as it seems they are notified of activity on the island by units while they are already enroute..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.