Catawba County question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Make sure you have the correct NAC codes programmed into your scanner. Direct 1, Direct 2, Direct 3, etc are all statewide 700 mhz frequencies, each county has a different NAC code assigned to them by the state

Well here is what I found. Apparently Catawba changed around the Direct channels because according to the NC Statewide Interop list, Direct-1 is actually Direct-3 on the Interop list, and Direct-2 is actually Direct-1 on the Interop list. Also, the Interop list has all 4 Direct channels with an NAC of 100, not a DPL. So it appears they are all Digital channels, except 2 of the DVRS are Analog and 2 are Digital. Unless Catawba changed all that for their own use. The DVRS channel NAC is 400 on the list, but the DB has it as 718, I'm assuming also a Catawba-only local change? I did read a little further on the Interop plan and saw that each state in the US will be issued a unique NAC code but that is for a 700-MHz Deployable Trunked System, I haven't found anything yet saying anything about NAC will be unique for each Conventional Interop frequency, tho it would make sense to follow the standard of issuing one for each state. Here is a copy of the list I found:

••David

Attachments

• 700-MHz Interop.jpg
    700-MHz Interop.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

TylerMK

Premium Subscriber
I'll post Catawba Counties direct channel frequencies tomorrow. Most of them do not parallel the statewide plan you listed. And once again direct 1 and 2 are absolutley 100% correct in the RR DB and use a DPL of 114. They are analog only, no mixed mode or digital and therefore have no NAC associated with them.

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
I'll post Catawba Counties direct channel frequencies tomorrow. Most of them do not parallel the statewide plan you listed. And once again direct 1 and 2 are absolutley 100% correct in the RR DB and use a DPL of 114. They are analog only, no mixed mode or digital and therefore have no NAC associated with them.

Thanks for your help, I do believe you, it was just reading up on all this info it said the NC Statewide Interop channels for 700-MHz were all listed as P25 so I was under the impression that whoever used them had to make it P25 too, and I remember someone mentioning above in a post that each county was given a unique NAC code for their Direct channels so I was confused between 2 posts. Thanks.

TylerMK

Premium Subscriber
I apologize for the delay but here they are;

CAT DIR 1 - 769.03125 DPL 114
CAT DIR 2 - 769.00625 DPL 114
CAT DIR 3 - 769.04375 NAC 718
CAT DIR 4 - 770.96250 NAC 400 Direct for NCDVRS 1
CAT DIR 5 - 770.89375 NAC 293 Direct for FDDVRS (Cat Co. FD DVRS units)
CAT DIR 6 - 769.03125 NAC 718
CAT DIR 7 - 769.00625 NAC 718

These are all state and/or national interoperabiltiy frequencies that are labeled and numbered specifically for Cat Co. The radios include all of the state and national 700/800 interoperability frequencies with their normal labeling and numbering as well.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

These are all state and/or national interoperabiltiy frequencies that are labeled and numbered specifically for Cat Co. The radios include all of the state and national 700/800 interoperability frequencies with their normal labeling and numbering as well.

I have added these to the database under their own sub-category.
I still have to clean up the other listings to match up with above....will try to do that this evening when I have a little more time.
Marshall KE4ZNR

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber

I want to thank you for all of your work on this! Seriously!

On another note, I found a new channel during a Service Search that I can't identify, and there's nothing in a database search that I can find. It appears to be some sort of VHF P25 trunked system but unfortunately I am not hearing any Control Channel noise so I can't run UniTrunker on it to find out. The only thing that I definitively know is that when transmissions come across my search displays an NAC 079 and the Talkgroup ID is 1... I am on the border of Lincoln & Catawba Counties but I cannot find any information in all my searching on this frequency. I will plug it in as a channel in my scan list and see if I hear anything else...

••David

Last edited:

drayd48

I want to thank you for all of your work on this! Seriously!

On another note, I found a new channel during a Service Search that I can't identify, and there's nothing in a database search that I can find. It appears to be some sort of VHF P25 trunked system but unfortunately I am not hearing any Control Channel noise so I can't run UniTrunker on it to find out. The only thing that I definitively know is that when transmissions come across my search displays an NAC 079 and the Talkgroup ID is 1... I am on the border of Lincoln & Catawba Counties but I cannot find any information in all my searching on this frequency. I will plug it in as a channel in my scan list and see if I hear anything else...

••David

Not sure if this will help you but I know the state of Virginia has a VHF Trunked P25 System. I can listen to them in Statesville just fine since some of their towers sit on top of a mountain and the signal travels all the way down here. What is the frequency?

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this will help you but I know the state of Virginia has a VHF Trunked P25 System. I can listen to them in Statesville just fine since some of their towers sit on top of a mountain and the signal travels all the way down here. What is the frequency?

Well it might have helped if I put the frequency, LOL. It is 155.715 MHz, came in crystal clear to where I am in Lincoln County, the NAC decoded as 079. Someone messaged me saying it might be Watauga County I am getting, when I searched the database on here and I didn't see anything it coulda been. Watauga DID come up in the search but it shows a DPL of 043, suggesting an Analog channel. What I heard showed an NAC of 079, which means it's a P25 Digital channel. So that is my dilemma...

drayd48

Well it might have helped if I put the frequency, LOL. It is 155.715 MHz, came in crystal clear to where I am in Lincoln County, the NAC decoded as 079. Someone messaged me saying it might be Watauga County I am getting, when I searched the database on here and I didn't see anything it coulda been. Watauga DID come up in the search but it shows a DPL of 043, suggesting an Analog channel. What I heard showed an NAC of 079, which means it's a P25 Digital channel. So that is my dilemma...

Just going off my memory, Rowan EMS and Boone Fire dispatch use those channels.

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Just going off my memory, Rowan EMS and Boone Fire dispatch use those channels.

Yeah but their PL codes all suggest Analog channels. This definitely had an NAC 079 so it's P25, and it showed a Talkgroup ID of 1 and the radio ID was 4 digits like 2040 or something I can't remember fully.

medic611

When Hickory fire is on "repeater 2" Is that just a Mobile repeater? The MRE I have delt with were used to make portables extend through a truck radio to improve in building coverage.

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Yeah but their PL codes all suggest Analog channels. This definitely had an NAC 079 so it's P25, and it showed a Talkgroup ID of 1 and the radio ID was 4 digits like 2040 or something I can't remember fully.

Here is the scanner display of when the transmissions come thru. It's not very often but I can confirm it's some sorta Fire Dept activity, I'm inclined to believe this particular channel is just 1 voice channel within a P25 VHF Trunked system, I just wish I could find out where it belongs to... I have tried searching everywhere but I'm having no luck identifying this frequency owner... But I'll keep looking!

••David

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 104

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Just a few minutes ago some more transmissions came over the frequency. This time the first one said "Engine-3 is arrival on Highway-105, nothing showing" and the Radio ID was 7045. Another one a little bit later came over and that one was "Engine-1 arrival" and that Radio ID was 7024. Upon searching Google Maps for Hwy-105 it does appear there's a possibility it's Boone Fire Dept in Watauga County. They are in the database of using the same frequency however it Analog & lists a DPL of 043, and as you can see from my photos the NAC is clearly 079 & Digital, not a DPL, so either the database is wrong or they maybe switched to a new channel or something. The other weird thing is I am many many miles from Boone, 85 miles to be exact, and several Counties away, so I'm really out of their area especially for a Digital P25 channel... I guess the simplest solution would be to say that it must be Boone Fire Dept and the channels are wrong or have changed. I was just kinda wondering if anyone else knew about this channel. It also could be Banner Elk and some other small towns because Highway-105 runs from Boone down to Linville.

Attachments

• Scanner-3.jpg
    Scanner-3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 94
  • scanner-4.jpg
    scanner-4.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 95

The other weird thing is I am many many miles from Boone, 85 miles to be exact, and several Counties away, so I'm really out of their area especially for a Digital P25 channel...

Very possible.... When I was in Lincolnton years ago, Virginia State Police would come in on Lincoln County Fire 159.165 with so much strength that they would sometimes cover up local units. I would also get many transmissions on 155.160 & 155.280 from the north & northwest.

CFP387

Just a thought, could it be that they are using 91 direct, one of the national mutual aid channels? Departments in Rowan use it when they are in buildings that hinder the P25 signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.