Cats and Ham Radio Anecdotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5NNH

I'm compiling a collection of anecdotes concerning cats and ham radio. Specifically, I'm looking for stories where a cat has been "naughty" with ham radio (non-sexual!). Things like, "I was trying to work a rare grid-square on 6m when my cat did <fill-in-the-blank>." or something similar.

Ultimately, if things go well, I'll post them on a blog, with callsign attribution for each story. Once I have the blog setup, I'll post the URL here.

To start with:

When I first received my Technician license, back in 1997, my ex-XYL and I had a long-haired brown tabby named Maxine. I was putting my first 2m antenna up, a homebrew contraption using an SO-239 and a couple of coat-hangers, when Maxine decided she had to investigate. From that point on, we figured that non of my antennas would work properly if they were not first blessed by a cat.

73 de W5NNH

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Things like, "I was trying to work a rare grid-square on 6m when my cat did <fill-in-the-blank>."
This one's easy.

"I was trying to work a rare DX station when my cat coughed up a hairball on my amplifier."

Cats seem to always pull the hairball trick at the most inopportune moments.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I'm compiling a collection of anecdotes concerning cats and ham radio. Specifically, I'm looking for stories where a cat has been "naughty" with ham radio (non-sexual!). Things like, "I was trying to work a rare grid-square on 6m when my cat did <fill-in-the-blank>." or something similar.

Ultimately, if things go well, I'll post them on a blog, with callsign attribution for each story. Once I have the blog setup, I'll post the URL here.

To start with:

When I first received my Technician license, back in 1997, my ex-XYL and I had a long-haired brown tabby named Maxine. I was putting my first 2m antenna up, a homebrew contraption using an SO-239 and a couple of coat-hangers, when Maxine decided she had to investigate. From that point on, we figured that non of my antennas would work properly if they were not first blessed by a cat.

73 de W5NNH

My cat likes to chew on my HT antennas.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.