Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Oh so many concerns, not just for the radios, but for the cat(s) too. Maybe it's because I am in California, but I believe the radios and associated equipment should be "earthquake proof". A cat should not be able to knock something over (unless they exhibit something like 10.0+ on the Richter scale). Cables and wires still need something to make them undesirable.

Another concern is their fur. It gets into fans and other places not usually considered. Some cats worse than others. Ideally I like a place for radios and a place for cats where the two shall not meet. But we all know cats were given nine lives for a reason.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Double stick tape on some cardboard is a great deterrent I have used at times. One of my old cats liked to climb across the top edge of a wall mounted Sony flatscreen TV. She would hit the buttons on the top which was annoying. So I placed double stick tape from one end to the other and she stopped going there.
There is a product called "Sticky Paws" made just for this purpose. The topside adhesive is just enough to bother the cat, but not really stick to them.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I guess my biggest worry is not necessarily the units themselves, but rather the antennas and cable wires. For example my SDS200 is connected to a mini discone and duct taped to a coat rack.
I would be more concerned about the cat and the mini discone.

That's what I mean. The antennas and cable wires are really my concern, not so much the units themselves.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
There is a product called "Sticky Paws" made just for this purpose. The topside adhesive is just enough to bother the cat, but not really stick to them.
What do you do lay it on the table ?

w2xq

Mentor
That's what I mean. The antennas and cable wires are really my concern, not so much the units themselves.
Twist ties or equivalent to make a bundle of wires into one larger package, anchor same. Honestly, I think you are worrying about nothing. (I've had cats for ~70 years.) If you believe it is necessary to distract your cats, buy a feathered toy or ball et al from your pet store.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Sage advice Tom, I always had cats and dogs and did have a puppy that loved to chew on coax LOL. I tried to suspend it as high as I could.

Darkness, it was a good idea after all to get that lmr400 huh? Lots of good ideas here on the thread.

Twist ties or equivalent to make a bundle of wires into one larger package, anchor same. Honestly, I think you are worrying about nothing. (I've had cats for ~70 years.) If you believe it is necessary to distract your cats, buy a feathered toy or ball et al from your pet store.

danesgs

Cats need attention and they form human bonds as much as a dog, but negative reinforcement by loud noises is not going to work. Cats also sleep pretty much on and off all day and prowl around at night. They are also curious about why their human spends so much time in one area, give the cat attention, set down some basic rules, like no can get up here, or keep the cat on your lap and pet it and you won't have any malfunctions of the cat variety.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Cats need attention and they form human bonds as much as a dog, but negative reinforcement by loud noises is not going to work. Cats also sleep pretty much on and off all day and prowl around at night. They are also curious about why their human spends so much time in one area, give the cat attention, set down some basic rules, like no can get up here, or keep the cat on your lap and pet it and you won't have any malfunctions of the cat variety.
Good advice. I have cat I give so much attention too, shes is pretty much a dog. Follows you around, tries to jump on me. In the beginning it was rough but she is very adept at when I don't like when she does something. She can get guilty like a dog when scolded. The basic rules she follows when she knows I don't like her scratching the furniture, jumping on the counter or table but I treat her like a person and not a thing/animal. You really can raise these things like a dog and the plus side is they bury their crap. Shes a mainly outdoor during the day/indoor at night cat so there's a big degree of independence there. I have to admit, she doesn't always eat cat food and has a bit of preference, she eats Gerber baby food and will only eat it when its warmed up. I've created a bastard cat

Last edited:

danesgs

I recently, ( last 18 months), took in a stray a bunch of kids that were renters left behind. BT is an American Bobtail. He is an indoor/outdoor cat so no kitty litter needed. The main thing was the trauma of being abandoned outside by the previous owners. He started hanging with other community cats and one in particular, a feral older female. ( she died last summer). He had to have been abused at some point because tossing clothes in a hamper or loud noises freaks him out big time. Took me a year to gain trust enough that he comes inside. He is like a dog as he wants to sit at my feet, know where I am, and generally loves the attention. I have had dogs and cats all my life, worked with shelters and animal rescues, had my own dog sitting business for 3 years.

Grey Wolf's pet-sitting

Animals, like people can get PTSD from just about any source. taking the time to understand these things requires patience and mutual trust, just like in the human world.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
My cats don't really care about much of anything on my desk, but every so often, something makes them decide to climb up there and walk around for some reason. Rubber ducks do seem to tempt them and even the metal whips on the SDS200's get some gnawing. My only solution to get them off is to just nag them until they finally get tired of me saying, "Get off!". I usually get fed up and pick them up and put them on the cat tree. At least these cats don't chew cords like my old cat did. He learned the hard way that 115V through his fangs is really unpleasant. Cured him instantly of chewing cords, but you had to put away any and all string, he would swallow it, and a couple of times, he ended up having some unpleasant things done at the vet's office due to his dental floss habit.

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
I guess my biggest worry is not necessarily the units themselves, but rather the antennas and cable wires. For example my SDS200 is connected to a mini discone and duct taped to a coat rack.
I’d be more concerned about placing the cats priorities over yours just to please your significant other. Just ask him in a very blunt fashion what’s most important to him.

900mhz

I’d be more concerned about placing the cats priorities over yours just to please your significant other. Just ask him in a very blunt fashion what’s most important to him.
apparently, you don't know cats and their behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.