Caught My First Ham Last Night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeThompson

Playing around with my TECSUN and on 7147kHz LSB, I finally heard my first Ham. So you guys do exist! For a total newb just getting into the hobby, it was great to hear.

I didn't get much, no callsign or anything, but I think he was trying to make contact with some other guys. He kept saying UR5, WB2, HJZ3, and VFS. I'm guessing those are partial signs. He did say Winston-Salem, NC, but that's all I got.

Now that I know I can pick you guys up, I will hopefully get more of you.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Mike,

Yes, we really do exist! LOL! :ROFLMAO: So you found some hams on the 40 Meter band. That is my favorite band. For us Americans, you can find us transmitting voice on LSB between 7125 kHz and 7300 kHz. If you ever hear me, send me a signal report with some QSO information like who I was talking to and I'll send you a QSL card in return.

73 my friend, Dave K4EET

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The ham bands are in use quite literally 24/7, and with a decent antenna, you should be able to pick something up at all times.

14.150 - 14.350 is your best bet during the day. That is 20m.
7.125 - 7.300 and 3.600 - 4.000 are your best bets at night. Those are 40m and 80m respectively.

rks1257

Check out the Salvation Army SATERN national net (Salvation Army Team Emergency Network) at 11 AM Eastern each morning on 14.325. Early check ins usually start at 10:15 and the net sometimes goes until 12:30. Very popular net. Enjoy!

MikeThompson

If you ever hear me, send me a signal report with some QSO information like who I was talking to and I'll send you a QSL card in return.

Dave if I ever hear you on the waves you will definitely get a QSL request from me!

14.150 - 14.350 is your best bet during the day. That is 20m.
7.125 - 7.300 and 3.600 - 4.000 are your best bets at night. Those are 40m and 80m respectively.

Good to know, thanks! I've got more time to scan during the evening.

Salvation Army SATERN national net (Salvation Army Team Emergency Network)

Never heard of this before, thanks for letting me in on it.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget the 160M band in the evening 1.800 -2.000. Also 17 meters during the day, good DX when the band is open
18.068-18.168 MHz

KC5AKB

Look For N5V and N5VET in the spots November 1st-13th Two nice Veterans QSL cards . You can email club.kc5nx@gmail.com or kc5akb@arrl.net
To see where or ops are .
Www.dxsummit.fi
Www.hamcall.net dx spots
Gut google dx spots there will be lots of activity the weekend before Veterans day.
Copy some of the calls we are working and the utc time and date . If you have questions send a email to both address.
There will be about 15 operators so listen for their call along with the N5VET and N5V
We operate from 440MHZ to 160m all modes.
Congratulations on finding a ham.

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
Mike, In the not to distant future, you might even want to consider taking the plunge and go for your own amateur radio license. It’s a lot of fun listening to other stations but when you throw the switch on your end and hear your call sign come back, you’ve entered a different realm all together from just listening to others communicate. Obviously, you’ll learn a lot just by listening to other stations on the amateur bands but being an active participant in those conversations is beyond cool. It’s totally awesome and I guarantee you’ll be hooked! Just my two cents FWIW and it’s great to hear about new blood getting into listening on the low bands. Enjoy! 73, Dan

MikeThompson

Don't forget the 160M band in the evening 1.800 -2.000. Also 17 meters during the day, good DX when the band is open
18.068-18.168 MHz

I will give that one a shot too, thanks!

Congratulations on finding a ham.

Thanks Ric, first of many I hope!

Mike, In the not to distant future, you might even want to consider taking the plunge and go for your own amateur radio license.

Thanks for the reply, Dan. I would be lying if I said that I didn't find that interesting. You wouldn't be the first to suggest that to me either!

K9DWB

QRT
I've caught a few conversations on 2 meter, and nobody yet has said ham, bacon, pork chop, pickled pigs feet, etc.

8GEgCM4m.png

Status
Not open for further replies.