Cayce PD surveillance on VHF Business Band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
I've been hearing conversations all night on 151.760, people saying things like "There's a Charger driving down Base Street with red lights, you might want to check that out" and other similar things that make me think that Cayce DPS is doing some surveillance. What's throwing me off is the frequency; would a police department use a business itinerant frequency, when they could use the 800 system instead? Also, they have strange data bursts during their transmissions that sometimes interrupt the conversation (not MDC1200 or anything like that, it sounds more like a gps signal), and there are constant "kerchunks" when nobody is talking.

rayvelcoro

Low-power short range radio use for lane closures, traffic crossings, surveillance, etc. can occasionally be picked up on business itinerant, MURS, FRS/GMRS, etc. It is customary not to publicize these discoveries, though.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
It could be LCSD, i forgot the frequency, it is programmed into one of my radios, but they have a similar VHF freq with mobiles in their cars they use for a lot of non-official comms.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Consistent key-up sounds is a tell-tale sign of an LTR pseudo-trunked system. How often do those key-ups occur? The time interval can sometimes hint at the flavor of LTR system. It's not necessarily the case that the apparently LE traffic you're hearing is related to the LTR system - could be more than one user on that frequency.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Consistent key-up sounds is a tell-tale sign of an LTR pseudo-trunked system. How often do those key-ups occur? The time interval can sometimes hint at the flavor of LTR system. It's not necessarily the case that the apparently LE traffic you're hearing is related to the LTR system - could be more than one user on that frequency.
It happens every 4-5 seconds. I thought it sounded familiar, so that's probably what it is.

nd5y

Are you sure it isn't a security company or private investigators?
151.76 is supposed to be itinerant use only but that won't stop a sleazy radio dealer from programming it in a customer's radios or bootleggers doing it themselves.

evan

Database Admin
As Caesar said, Lex Co SO units have used these freqs in the past, especially the traffic units. Always simplex, so you have to be within a reasonable range to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.