Cayman Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibagli

The country code for the Cayman Islands is KY. It's an overseas territory, not an integral part of the United Kingdom, so UK wouldn't be appropriate.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And unfortunately it also happens to be the state abbreviation for Kentucky, so that's just another bit of confusion

Mike

QDP2012

And, in case things are not confusing enough, in the real-world:
  • There is a George Town, Cayman Islands, and
  • There is a Georgetown, Kentucky, (notice the slight difference in spelling) but
  • There is no "George Town County" in either the Caymans or Kentucky.

With respect to RRDB and Wiki:
  • There is an RRDB entry for "George Town (KY)" in the Caymans, which means it is correct for a wiki page to be named "George Town (KY)" in the Caymans.
  • But, there is no RRDB entry for "Georgetown (KY)" in Kentucky. It is the seat of "Scott County (KY)" Kentucky. The RRDB entry for "Scott County (KY)" Kentucky is likely sufficient to cover information relating to "Georgetown (KY)" Kentucky. This also suggests that there will not be a need for a "Georgetown (KY)" Kentucky page in the Wiki.

Additionally, there are some LTR systems for George Town, Cayman Islands in the RRDB that are named similarly but end with "#1" and "#2". The Wiki cannot handle the "#" sign as part of the page-names. This has created a weird naming problem in the Wiki. Some redirects are used to try to get around it, but it's a mess, and prevents the RRDB "Wiki" buttons from working as expected.

I might be wrong, but so far, this is what I've learned.

EDIT:
  • It is also very likely that the Wiki page that was wiped-clean today (George Town County (KY) -- Sept 30 History) did contain Cayman Island information.
  • Back in January when I was doing the State-Category project, I was unaware of the Cayman/Kentucky confusion, and incorrectly labeled the page with the Kentucky-related categories.
  • Aside from that, the page seemed to have been named incorrectly. It probably should have been simply "George Town (KY)" and categorized as Caymans, not Kentucky.

EDIT2:

My suggestion is to:
1. restore the cleared Wiki page, and then move/rename it to "George Town (KY)".
2. categorize it properly for Caymans, not Kentucky
3. add to the top of the page, a note explaining that the page is for the Caymans, not Kentucky.
4. possibly include a note that information for Georgetown Kentucky will be found on the Scott County (KY) page.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

QDP2012

My suggestion is to:
1. restore the cleared Wiki page, and then move/rename it to "George Town (KY)".
2. categorize it properly for Caymans, not Kentucky
3. add to the top of the page, a note explaining that the page is for the Caymans, not Kentucky.
4. possibly include a note that information for Georgetown Kentucky will be found on the Scott County (KY) page.

The pages have been updated. I apologize for putting the wrong categories on the Cayman Island page in January, and adding to the Kentucky/Caymans confusion.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.