CB and Scanner install on 2011 Frontier 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

VGSMC_8520

Hello all, I'd like to share my mobile setup. I've seen many ugly/incorrect/dangerous installs of CB radios, ham radios, scanners, antennas, etc around online, so here's my setup and a little bit of how it was done to maybe provide some reference for anyone looking to accomplish a similar project.

The vehicle is a 2011 Nissan Frontier S 4x4:

Y7FC4wx.png

My mobile setup includes:

Hella 9" gooseneck map light: Hella 9" gooseneck map light
Rugged Ridge inclinometer Rugged Ridge inclinometer
Uniden BC355N 800 MHz scanner
Midland 75-822 CB radio
Radio Shack glass mount scanner antenna
Wilson Lil Wil magnet mount CB antenna
Generic 12v cigarette outliet/USB outlet

Here is what the final installation looks like. The scanner is mounted with with supplied bracket, and I added the extra USB and cig power outlets because you can never have too many of those nowadays:

UsKWRA8.png

I ran 12 gauge wire from the battery through the firewall, and encased in split loom housing. In-line fuse near the positive battery terminal:

Hm5muy4.png

The wire is run to this fuse block under the driver's side dash, and the accessories are plugged into the fuse block with the appropriate fuse:

7DaO7xv.png

I also have a similar fuse block wired to the switched accessory circuit using a fuse tap:

Y6VzFvo.png

Adding these boxes is beneficial not only to protect the 12v accessories with a fuse, but also to allow flexibility for future installs. There are so many YouTube videos out there with guys splitting cigarette outlets 6 ways or jamming a wire into a random fuse for power and grounding to some screw under the dash and that's just absolutely the wrong way to do it. Improper wiring and connections could potentially be dangerous to you or your vehicle/equipment.

I have a Radio Shack glass mount antenna running to the scanner:

YmsN1ii.png

The glass mount antenna isn't ideal, but it suits my purposes nicely; I live in a major city, and park my vehicle in underground garages at home and work, so antenna height is a concern. There are no terrain obstructions in my area and the frequencies I listen to are picked up fine with the glass mount antenna.

The Uniden BC355N is certainly nothing fancy, but for me it's the ideal scanner to use in a vehicle as there aren't too many buttons and menus to navigate, allowing you to focus on the road while operating it. Very simple operation once programmed. Uniden's close call feature is also very nice.

I have a Wilson Lil Wil mag mount for the CB. I only occasionally use the CB on the highway or off road, so it's easy to pop on and off when I need. Good SWR with this antenna:

8T51cvN.png

Here are some additional photos of the completed install. The end result is pretty clean with no exposed wires, and no dangerous connections. I hope this can provide a reference to anybody looking to properly wire their mobile setup:

qr8BNbf.png

ofRahsa.png

pgPSsBa.png

tKpwSVX.png

nfIZRlz.png

I'm looking to get a technician license in the near future, and I think a detachable face 2m/70cm radio would fit nicely above the scanner. I'm not opposed to drilling through the roof for an additional antenna, but since I'm very limited on antenna height living in the city, a hood lip mount is probably my best option.

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

For 144/440, I normally use a shortie ~6" Comet B6 on an NMO mount. I can run the SUV into my garage and downtown Phila parking garages without hitting anything. (And hear NOAA stns in a ~60 mi radius.) The B6 works well. Sometimes I swap out the B6 for a 5/8 Larsen if travelling for a few days where no garages will be used. HTH.

GL getting your ham ticket. Recommended. :)

V

VGSMC_8520

And just for kicks, here's my office setup - a scanner that you probably don't see too often:

9VDUpLT.png

That's a Sony Wavehawk ICF SC1 handheld scanner I bought about 15 years ago. I use it to have a listen once in a while working. I don't remember how much it was back then, but I remember that I couldn't afford the PC programmable version. Covers 25 - 1300 MHz. There is also an easy keypad mod to allow frequencies as low as 200 KHz.

N8IAA

And just for kicks, here's my office setup - a scanner that you probably don't see too often:

9VDUpLT.png

That's a Sony Wavehawk ICF SC1 handheld scanner I bought about 15 years ago. I use it to have a listen once in a while working. I don't remember how much it was back then, but I remember that I couldn't afford the PC programmable version. Covers 25 - 1300 MHz. There is also an easy keypad mod to allow frequencies as low as 200 KHz.

Seeing that you are a newer member, it's not nice to hijack someone's thread to show your own set up.
But, a cool radio none the less:)
Larry

V

VGSMC_8520

Seeing that you are a newer member, it's not nice to hijack someone's thread to show your own set up.
But, a cool radio none the less:)
Larry

I'm replying to my own thread..

Status
Not open for further replies.