CB Antenna Car Mounting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikie333

So i am looking for a CB antenna that can be mounted via a hood/trunk lip mount...

i have only seen Magmount and the otherone radioshack sells,

are there any like NMO mounts or something that i can use wit ha hood/trunk lip mount?

LarrySC

I tested a LongJohn 49" 1/8 wave on an NMO L-bracket on my '89 F150 SC. With no loading coil it really had tOOOO much wind drag for the L-bracket. I installed a MAXRAD 2700 base load on the L-bracket and solved the problem. The wind load on the whip was pulling the bracket over, but the bracket didnt move when the whip is in the base load coil. The base load coil takes all the strain. SO the bottom line is use a base load NMO CB antenna on an L-bracket and be a happy camper. Some Photos at www.bncantenna.com

kf4lne

Larsen makes some nice NMO mount 25-30MHz low band antennas as does PCTEL. i cant speak for the performance of the Larsen, but the PCTEL Maxrad antenna is a great performer and the 30-45MHz version is a popular choice for forest service and other agencies using the low VHF bands.

mikie333

thanks for info on the mounts! but what about for the actual antenna, i haven't yet seen a model designed for CB (27mhz) that will fit NMO

mikie333

ok, here is my idea, would this be possible: (I have a Honda Element), i would put the antenna on the top of the hood (closest to the windsheild, either on right or left side, there is a flat section of hood (i am putting it there because of height requirments)

CB Antenna (see link below), with a hood mount and some adapter to make the antenna fit?

(can anyone post links to where i can find these parts (i.e. adapter for the antenna to the NMO (or whatever mount style))?

Antenna:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...032075.2032078.2032098&pg=2&parentPage=family

thanks!!!

mikie333

oh ya, with my 'idea' is there a risk of any damage to the car or antenna, since it is an unconvential mounting concept (and antenna) ... would it break with high wind/speed?

thanks again!

mikie333

i checked out the wilsons, decent stuff, but would the hood-lip mount to the fiberglass cb antenna work?

if so, do y'all know of any other websites that have the nmo-fiberglass antenna adapter (it doesn't nessicarily have to be nmo...im a 'newbie,' my appologies)

thanks!

policeMonitor

E-Man said:
Check out: http://www.wilsonantenna.com/

Wilson is what the Truckers use. They show a Trunk Lip Mount, but not very good pictures of it.

he is right wilson is one of the best out there ,

i have wilsons, preditor 10ks, and fiber glass antennas and the wilson is pretty good not as good as my 10k tho

if you dont want to spend much money the best antenna for the buck is the 102 inch whip

KOK5CY

cb antenna

Larsen makes a good nmo 27 mhz antenna coil . I've got 1 on my truck and it perform's better than any other antenna i've owned . handles 200 watt's max

Status
Not open for further replies.