CB antenna on a Radio Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chev_am

I got an adapter that does this, is this a good idea and will it work any better than my telescoping antenna that came with my scanner?

R

Rayjk110

It will beat a telescoping antenna if it is one of those mag-mount cb whips, yes. I've done this before and it's always worked fine.

Chev_am

Thanks, The radio Shack guys said that it would take away 4 DB but it seems to be working.

bigcheez69

Chev_am said:
I got an adapter that does this, is this a good idea and will it work any better than my telescoping antenna that came with my scanner?
Does the antenna have a loading coil?
If so, remove it.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Chev_am said:
Thanks, The radio Shack guys said that it would take away 4 DB but it seems to be working.

They probably said that so you'd buy one of their antennas.

Chev_am said:

One thing to learn about Rat Shack these days is that most of their employees don't know a capacitor from a connector. Sure it will work, might not work as well as an actual scanner antenna depending what band you are listening to but it will work. Ran an old CB antenna on my mobile scanner for years. Worked great as most of what I listened to was low band

Al42

If you use a CB antenna for VHF-lo, it'll sort of work. Since the antenna on most scanners is useless on VHF-lo, the CB antenna will work better.

But a CB antenna on UHF or 850 MHz? Somewhere between no worse than the antenna that came with the scanner and useless.

And I'm not trying to sell anyone an antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.