• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Antenna on aluminum travel trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowmover

Have been looking at using a lay-over mount (Tarheel Lift & Lay) for a CB half-wave vertical after a suggestion it’s a better choice than the 102” whip on a puck-mount with lay-over adapter I’d expressed I’d try.

35’ TT

Leaving aside how much work goes into either, the best recommendation I’ve had is the SOLARCON A99 (versus others) once I’d done some Internet searches.

I’ve no set preferences.

RV Parks have rules in some cases about “big”
antennas (Id paint a fiberglass antenna grey), so there is a concern about appearances as well as about bleed-over into electronics (a regular note about this antenna and the IMAX 2000).

Wind load is the other. I figured the 102” on a big puck mount with backing plate wedged into reinforced framing ought to be okay. With an 18’ antenna, I’m not so sure. The Tarheel plate isn’t so big, relatively. Where I may live & travel sudden high gusts are a fact of life. No warning.

I’ve no experience with these antennas — only mobile — and while, technically this is a mobile installation, am I getting too far out what with potential bleed over and potential wind load problems (how much larger a plate to use) for the performance gains?

A search here revealed advice that a vertical coupled to the TT body is (could be) a performer. I’m not tied to this being CB-only (nor adverse to using a remote tuner); so the floor is open.

I’m home only every so often so the antenna would spend most of its life baking close to that metal roof, laid-over.

All advice welcomed.

Last edited:

slowmover

(Guess I missed edit window).

ALPHA Moto 6-40 an antenna I’ve looked at before in a different application. With optional 17’+ telescope whip (and tuner) maybe it’s an option for this.

1). Looks like it’s less visually “noticeable”
2). Might do better stowed close to that metal roof getting baked.
3). Telescope whip means more location choices versus fixed-length.

Any experience with one?

8477DD53-2A86-4B1B-914F-F1B8A4D195B1.jpeg

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

I would be curious about how it performs and VSWR at CB frequencies as I am looking for a 6-10M solution.

slowmover

The expense of the Alpha FMJ + LGC Tuner and a 17’ whip which isn’t “stealthy” has put that approach on the back burner. About $700 once miscellaneous added in. While I could also use it on my pickup — reserving it for a future date — I think I’m going to stay with the 102” whip on a fold-over mount for the TT.

Install is straightforward, expense is about one-third the other approach, and the thinner SS whip shouldn’t be as noticeable or objectionable. Quarter-wave performance isn’t that of a half-wave, but the very high heat on the TT roof also dissuades me from using an Antron 99 on a layover.

Have earlier planned a coax exit from underneath trailer to accommodate using a tripod or “other” (the many possible portable antennas), so there’ll be a day for those.

In the meantime, being able to get on the air (CB, first) is enough of a priority for a start.

More at a later date.

138BG

Trailer roof aluminum/metal? Ground the mount to the roof and use the 102". Use the A99 when you need to stir paint. My $.02

KK2DOG

Premium Subscriber
I personally would go with the A-99/Imax 2000 route. I've had both antennas and never had any type of "bleed-over" issues at all and it could be attached to a 10' mast with your choice of mount. I've seen guys use a drive-on plate that the mast attaches to and they seem to be quite secure and you could always guy it with some rope if need be. Also, if you ever do get a ham ticket, either antenna will work fine on 20 thru 10 meters with a tuner.

slowmover

I personally would go with the A-99/Imax 2000 route. I've had both antennas and never had any type of "bleed-over" issues at all and it could be attached to a 10' mast with your choice of mount. I've seen guys use a drive-on plate that the mast attaches to and they seem to be quite secure and you could always guy it with some rope if need be. Also, if you ever do get a ham ticket, either antenna will work fine on 20 thru 10 meters with a tuner.

The point to this install is permanence, and on the trailer roof. I don’t believe a Fiberglas antenna will very long survive constant 160F temps against that roof while laid over. While I could be wrong, it goes against what I’d consider as permanent (more than five years service).

A mount to be used temporarily isn’t being considered for this thread. It’s a mobile installation, albeit used while stationary. And that might be in having stopped for lunch, or an overnight stay.

There are those times I don’t want coax strung around.

prcguy

This is a 5:1 balun with a whip stuck on top, basically a dummy load on a stick. For lower amateur bands the 5:1 balun with 60 to 100ft of wire can work ok but not with a short whip. On CB a 4ft Firestick will probably run circles around it. Chameleon antenna has a similar unit and although it works the same the workmanship on the Chameleon is much better. I have a Chameleon with 17ft of whip and never use it because it doesn't work.

(Guess I missed edit window).

ALPHA Moto 6-40 an antenna I’ve looked at before in a different application. With optional 17’+ telescope whip (and tuner) maybe it’s an option for this.

1). Looks like it’s less visually “noticeable”
2). Might do better stowed close to that metal roof getting baked.
3). Telescope whip means more location choices versus fixed-length.

Any experience with one?

View attachment 105044

slowmover

This is a 5:1 balun with a whip stuck on top, basically a dummy load on a stick. For lower amateur bands the 5:1 balun with 60 to 100ft of wire can work ok but not with a short whip. On CB a 4ft Firestick will probably run circles around it. Chameleon antenna has a similar unit and although it works the same the workmanship on the Chameleon is much better. I have a Chameleon with 17ft of whip and never use it because it doesn't work.

Thanks for your insights. It would have been an expensive project, and the reason for use wasn’t, “performance first”.

I’m focused on a t680 Kenworth installation since starting this thread, so the travel trailer won’t get worked on until cooler weather.

Short of other suggestions to consider I’m going with a 108” SS whip on a puck mount (roof-center; towards bow).

Last edited:

prcguy

I considered one of these for my travel trailer but its all fiberglass and no ground plane. If I had an all aluminum one this mounted in the roof will hand crank an antenna like a 9ft whip or larger, up and down from inside the trailer. These are made for the marine industry and this is a more expensive version but the cheaper ones are still around $400. You can also get a motorized version and some can lift an 18ft Shakespeare marine version Big Stick.

I've also seen some home made motorized lift and lay mounts using an actuator arm off a small satellite dish.

slowmover

I considered one of these for my travel trailer but its all fiberglass and no ground plane. If I had an all aluminum one this mounted in the roof will hand crank an antenna like a 9ft whip or larger, up and down from inside the trailer. These are made for the marine industry and this is a more expensive version but the cheaper ones are still around $400. You can also get a motorized version and some can lift an 18ft Shakespeare marine version Big Stick.

I've also seen some home made motorized lift and lay mounts using an actuator arm off a small satellite dish.

Thank you, I’ll look into it!

Status
Not open for further replies.