Cb antenna tuned to 10 meter help

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

I bought a RS antenna- Radio Shack® No-Ground CB Antenna Model: 21-977 | Catalog #: 21-977
RadioShack® No-Ground CB Antenna - RadioShack.com
I was wondering if these antennas can usually hold more than the 3 watts that CBs offer. I have a ham radio that will go to 25 watts and with some tuning on this antenna I wondered if the CB Antenna will handle the 25 watts on 10 meters. I could use it for both maybe. I don't see anything in the antenna listing saying wattage. Thanks Ron

LtDoc

Just as a guess, I would think that it would handle 25 watts if it's tuned correctly. Probably more...
- 'Doc

K9WG

I don't know Doc. Some of these antennas have capacitors in them. I would be concerned about the voltage rating of the capacitor (if indeed there is one).

k8krh

I would not try on 10 it is a rat shack antenna, you would be better off purchasing a 10 meter vertical or a 11 mter vertical..it will work fine on 10 with an antenna tuner. I use a Sorio 2016 myself but just on 10 meters ..
DOCTOR/795

LtDoc

K9WG,
I don't know either, that's why it was a 'guess'. I've used the 'Shack's 11 meter antennas on 10 meters before and it did about as well as any other of the same length. It was re-tuned for 10 meters though, and that can/will make a difference in power handling ability. I also used it with a tuner for other bands. I wouldn't say it was 'good', but it was certainly usable. I think it would be a safe bet that the antenna I had isn't the same one in question, so still no sizable bet on if it would work or not.
Not all, but most "CB" antennas will handle more than 4 watts. It's almost a sure bet that more power than that would be used with some of them, you know?
- 'Doc

K9WG

I agree with you Doc. I use a trimmed 11-meter mag mount for my 25 watt mobile with great results. The thing that would have me concerned is the 1/2 wave no ground feature. That and it's a Radio Shack ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.