CB Antenna/ Use for scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukeduke711

I have a CB antenna, not a whip but about 19 inches long,
if i route the antenna input to the cb antenna with foil will it make me pickup more distant signals?

fineshot1

if i route the antenna input to the cb antenna with foil will it make me pickup more distant signals?

No - this is another one of those subjects that gets asked about once a month or every other month. Using a CB antenna on a scanner is just a waist of time & $. Not sure what you mean by using foil but forget that idea. Do it right the first time and get yourself a decent scanner antenna like a larsen 150/450/800 or similar.

lukeduke711

my antenna broke so im using foil right now until i get a new one and i am still picking up city's 40 miles away........pretty amazing

got any tips for making a homemade antenna or something?

thanks,

jleverin

lukeduke
Look on Ebay, I got my scanner antenna for only about $10, will get you by until you can get something more expensive but at least it works for scanners.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"...if i route the antenna input to the cb antenna with foil will it make me pickup more distant signals?"

I've seen some pretty artistic creations when people put foil on TV rabbit ears thinking it improves reception and some put it on their heads to foil reception, both are fretty punny.

Last edited:

lukeduke711

"...if i route the antenna input to the cb antenna with foil will it make me pickup more distant signals?"

I've seen some pretty artistic creations when people put foil on TV rabbit ears thinking it improves reception and some put it on their heads to foil reception, both are fretty punny.

lmao...wow

LarryMax

Premium Subscriber
I know you said you were using foil for your scanner and you said it was working for you. Just don't get the idea of trying to transmit with it.....k

byndhlptom

cb-scanner

If the antenna is NOT a base loaded, ie, the whip just connects to the center lead of the coax with no connection to the braid, it can be a 'passable" scanner antenna, esp the low VHF. The loaded base antenna's will be poor at best, getting worse as you increase frequency

tom

N1BHH

No - this is another one of those subjects that gets asked about once a month or every other month. Using a CB antenna on a scanner is just a waist of time & $. Not sure what you mean by using foil but forget that idea. Do it right the first time and get yourself a decent scanner antenna like a larsen 150/450/800 or similar.

Actually a CB antenna will work pretty good for a scanner. I have used them in the past, they don't work superb, but they do work. There is a myth going around that you can't use a CB antenna for anything but CB or an 800 Megahertz antenna can't be used for VHF. Anything that has something to capture signals floating through the air will work, depending upon what you want to hear, there are limitations though, you will find them when you experiment.

scansomd

ANYTHING will work to a small degree. You can attach a paper clip to the antenna jack and receive signals, especially if the transmitter is close and or strong.

Having said that, a CB antenna is less than ideal when monitoring public safety frequencies and will probably yield unsatisfactory results. I do not recommend it.

You might have some success in monitoring 39.xx and 42.xx frequencies.

Actually a CB antenna will work pretty good for a scanner. I have used them in the past, they don't work superb, but they do work. There is a myth going around that you can't use a CB antenna for anything but CB or an 800 Megahertz antenna can't be used for VHF. Anything that has something to capture signals floating through the air will work, depending upon what you want to hear, there are limitations though, you will find them when you experiment.

donc13

Premium Subscriber

Let's put it this way...if you've got a CB attached to that CB antenna and you key up the CB while the scanner is attached....there is a VERY good possibility of, "Bye Bye scanner!"

As to the basic question...any piece of conductor will work for an antenna....the question is how WELL it will work. An antenna designed for a specific range of frequencies is always better than "just a piece of wire" unless that wire happens to be exactly the correct lenght for the frequency you're receiving.

LarryMax

Premium Subscriber
How about a 102" whip attached to a handheld scanner :) I'm kidding

Status
Not open for further replies.