• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB antennas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkieguide

Can aluminum conduit be used to build CB antennas ? In place of aluminum tubing. Using aluminum couplings to make longer lengths ? If a person has a surplus of some thing finding a use for it is useful.

Thanks

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Yeah, you can. Just needs some experimenting. If you have an antenna analyzer it would help a lot. You do know the formula for finding the antenna length right? For receive, it isn't all that critical for length, but for transmitting you need to be within the tolerance for the frequencies you plan to use.
If you need help, just come back here and post your questions.
Just in case you need the formula:
Full wave length = 936/Mhz
5/8 wave length = 585/Mhz
1/2 wave length = 468/Mhz
1/4 wave length = 234/Mhz

spongella

Premium Subscriber
CB Antenna

Lots of commercial antennas are made of aluminum - lightweight, strong. Forge ahead! Folks even make antennas from metal tape measures, slinkys. My favorite material for making UHF receiving antennas is PVC and welding rod. Tinker away and have fun.

DJ11DLN

Doesn't rust and easy to work with too, but a B@#$% to weld.
Not if you have a decent MIG with a spool gun. I don't but a neighbor does and we trade favors, so...

Also, I used some aluminum "welding rod" several years back. I can't recall the name of the stuff but it seemed to be an alloy with a melting point slightly below that of aluminum. You used it with a MAPP torch, though propane would do it, just took a bit longer to melt. Worked pretty well, about like brazing steel without the extra heat and the need for goggles.

arkieguide

Thanks

Can I bridge the coupling with a copper jumper ? I see the aluminum tubing is configured one pipe, into the other.I have never built a CB antenna so I wish to do the best I can.

Thanks again.

arkieguide

Thanks to every one.

I have about decided to put a 1/4-20 bolt thru each end of the coupling and pipe, and nut on the other end.I will use anti oxy on the pipe ends, and anti tox on the bolts. Will let you know how it workw.

DJ11DLN

Thanks to every one.

I have about decided to put a 1/4-20 bolt thru each end of the coupling and pipe, and nut on the other end.I will use anti oxy on the pipe ends, and anti tox on the bolts. Will let you know how it workw.
Get stainless bolts & associated hardware. It'll reduce the corrosion but not eliminate it. Dissimilar metals don't like each other. With the oxidation inhibitor you'll probably be OK.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Many of the wavelength formulas are fine for wire, but you will find that due to the size of the conduit, the result will be a bit long, and the bandwidth will be wider , both of which are a good thing when experimenting. You will find yourself cutting off a bit of tubing to resonate. Put great effort into the mechanical and electrical connections . Stainless is the way to go for hardware as it makes a good interface between copper and aluminum.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

arkieguide

Thank you.
I will put the antenna 37' above ground. How can I work the resonate before I put it up there ? You folks are a big help. Another question please - would I be better off to make a sleeve out of aluminum and put the elements in from both sides ? All the questions because I have never made mu own antenna sp want to do it right the first time.

prcguy

The only way to see how it plays at 37ft up is to get it there and test it. This is a problem everyone faces putting up a base antenna, it tunes fine on the ground and when you get it in the air its different. You have to tweake it one way or the other then put it back up and measure.
prcguy

QUOTE=arkieguide;2808914]Thank you.
I will put the antenna 37' above ground. How can I work the resonate before I put it up there ? You folks are a big help. Another question please - would I be better off to make a sleeve out of aluminum and put the elements in from both sides ? All the questions because I have never made mu own antenna sp want to do it right the first time.[/QUOTE]

spongella

Premium Subscriber
CB antenna tuning

You could also set up the antenna several feet above ground and try tuning it initially that way, but understand that when you put it up 37' you might have to retune a bit.

Be sure to check the FCC regulations on antenna height, 60 feet is the max unless you are near an airport, Check those out.

Status
Not open for further replies.