• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

cb as a temporary radio system for taxis

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycradio

I need to build a system that i can use with a 10 mile radius that isn't too terribly expensive for a small taxi service to ensure that several cabs can communicate with each other and with dispatch... What would I use thats cheap also what can I use as a base station and how could I get enough juice to power them up.

MURS 19-1210 mobiles can usually be found on ebay. they are 2 watts 2ch VHF. use some 5/8 wave antenna's on the mobiles and a good high gain colinear vhf base antenna with some high quality coax like Times LMR-400 or comm-spec. the mobiles can be user programmed for 154.570 or 154.600. cheap, legal and license free. as long as you are not in a heavy urban environment with lots of tall steel buildings you should get your 10 miles out of them. they are your absolute best bet. CB is useless, GMRS is illegal for your application, FRS is just as worthless as CB.

bezking

I would also advise MURS instead of CB. The band is generally much quieter. There is a 2-watt power limit, though.

2 watts using VHF FM gets about the same range as 4 watts on 27 mhz am.

just like CB you pay attention to your coax, antenna connections and antenna.

thats the key to good range.

ArtU

MURS 19-1210 mobiles can usually be found on ebay. they are 2 watts 2ch VHF. use some 5/8 wave antenna's on the mobiles and a good high gain colinear vhf base antenna with some high quality coax like Times LMR-400 or comm-spec. the mobiles can be user programmed for 154.570 or 154.600. cheap, legal and license free. as long as you are not in a heavy urban environment with lots of tall steel buildings you should get your 10 miles out of them. they are your absolute best bet. CB is useless, GMRS is illegal for your application, FRS is just as worthless as CB.

Good Advice, but I am pondering this...

CB does not seem unless during this low sunspot time around here. I get 15-25 miles on a 5 watt mobile with truck roof mounted antenna to someone elses base station. Almost all channels other then 6/15/19/20 are never in use around here.

Of course all that will change as the sunspot count moves up and skip starts happening a few years from now.

What is your experience on the CB channels in your area. Are you saying its useless as your channels all have interference, land noise, or too many users ?

ArtU

till some local trouble maker notices you and starts harassing you and your drivers every time he ties one on.

don't think your riders want to hear an endless stream of profanities and name calling coming from your radios. and some taxi commissions prohibit the use of ham or cb radios while on duty.

option 2 is get a nextell contract and dispatch via nextell PTT. you have have the phones neutered so that they can only phone 911 and dispatch and receive calls from dispatch.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
option 2 is get a nextell contract and dispatch via nextell PTT. you have have the phones neutered so that they can only phone 911 and dispatch and receive calls from dispatch.

That is probably your best bet.

Also any competitors won't be eavesdropping on your fares that way.

AND, you will be able to see at any given moment, where a cab is as well via their GPS locator service for business/fleet contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.