• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Base Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1879

Any comments from the peanut-gallery on Sirio Antennas for base use? I had good luck with an Imax, and a PDL-2 back in the day, but would love to try a Sirio 2016. Speaking of top hats and J-pole designs, I see that Sirio has one now (or has had one) they claim is very good on DX -Vector 4000, which looks very familiar....

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Anyone remember the Avanti AstroPlane CB base antenna? I had one on a 10ft mast on a chimney mount on and old-school very strong chimney mount back in 1975. My CB was barefoot and it worked very well!

WB9YBM

I installing another CB base station and bouncing back & forth between two antennas: IMAX 2000 & Maco V5000.

Currently, for the past 10 years I've been using the IMAXX 2000 (no ground plane kit) in the shop which has worked great. Now ready to install a base at the house and just can't decide which antenna I want to go with. Been hearing great things about the aluminum V5000. My only concerns are we do get ice & freezing rain in winter. I'm concerned with the horizontal radials bending. Also read that winds can bend the vertical part of the antenna. We do get some good thunderstorms which product up to 65+ mph winds.

I do have another IMAXX 2000 in the garage still in the box. Could just add the ground plane kit and give it a shot. Just trying to save some time by not having to reinstall another antenna if the Maco will outperform the IMAXX hands down. I do realize the wattage are different but I don't run power anyway. Thanks for the input.

My personal preference is to go with something already proven to work well--it sounds like in this case it would be the IMAX 2000. Unless you're in the mood to experiment and have the spare cash to do it...

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Anyone remember the Avanti AstroPlane CB base antenna? I had one on a 10ft mast on a chimney mount on and old-school very strong chimney mount back in 1975. My CB was barefoot and it worked very well!

View attachment 85827
I had one and wouldn't have traded it for nothing. The man two doors down from me had an Astro Beam. Those were the days. I was pushing a Phantom 500 thru it. That was back in the middle 70's. Wish I had all my equipment with me today.

Last edited:

KANE4109

Related to the SPT-500, I'd like to squeeze in a question....

I was reading up on the Super Penetrator back in the day so to speak....

The article that I read referred to "governmental restrictions" that came down requiring insulation...and that resulted in bare aluminum antennas "going away". It says right in that article that the Super Penetrator went away soon after that.

What happened that allows them today???? Just a curiosity really..... sounds like a great choice....

prcguy

I believe the safety rules are still there making it illegal to sell CB base antennas that don't meet high voltage safety/hazard ratings but most are now offered as 10m amateur antennas, or the sellers just ignore the rules.

Related to the SPT-500, I'd like to squeeze in a question....

I was reading up on the Super Penetrator back in the day so to speak....

The article that I read referred to "governmental restrictions" that came down requiring insulation...and that resulted in bare aluminum antennas "going away". It says right in that article that the Super Penetrator went away soon after that.

What happened that allows them today???? Just a curiosity really..... sounds like a great choice....

prcguy

I had an Astroplane around 1974/75 and compared it to several other antennas. The Hy-Gain Penetrator beat it hands down and I remember it was on par with a Shakespeare Big Stick or A/S half wave of the time.

View attachment 85827

KANE4109

Now that you mention it... I remember seeing it billed as a 10-12 meter antenna..... Clever!!!!!

I believe the safety rules are still there making it illegal to sell CB base antennas that don't meet high voltage safety/hazard ratings but most are now offered as 10m amateur antennas, or the sellers just ignore the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.