• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cb channels - what is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sporadic E enthusiast
Around ten years ago skip was strong and for two or three weeks there was a guy broadcasting daily. I went through the channels and he was simultaneously on 3, 5, 8, 11, 15, and 24. It was a recording about a public service announcement for a offender living in Jackson Michigan. Then there's all them noise makers Mr X builds. How many roger beeps does a radio need?

ScubaJungle

I havent heard a thing since that day, but that day sure had some weird things going on. He was literally on almost every channel, it was insane. Not sure if I just got lucky and conditions were right, but I dont think the guy is near me. He mentioned something about MS, which is far away.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Around ten years ago skip was strong and for two or three weeks there was a guy broadcasting daily. I went through the channels and he was simultaneously on 3, 5, 8, 11, 15, and 24. It was a recording about a public service announcement for a offender living in Jackson Michigan. Then there's all them noise makers Mr X builds. How many roger beeps does a radio need?
Hence the term cesspool

bob550

Premium Subscriber
With the anonymity and lack of FCC enforcement, broadcasting on CB is an honor system. Even Ham Radio has a few miscreants, even though everyone must ID with a valid FCC callsign. Nightly BS on 3860 kHz comes to mind.

K7MFC

WRAA720
I thought "broadcasting" on Ham radio was illegal .

That is correct. Quoted from the FCC's website:

Amateur Communications & Operations FAQ -> Two-Way Communications

Q: Is broadcasting prohibited?
A: Yes. Section 97.113 prohibits amateur stations from engaging in any form of broadcasting or in any activity related to program production or news gathering for broadcasting purposes.

§97.113 Prohibited transmissions

FiveFilter

Well, for many truckers, the CB is a tool of the road and at the loading docks. For instance, Channel 19 is still used when a wreck happens and everybody's curious about what the traffic stoppage is all about, location of the wreck, how much of a hold-up will it be, what lane should I be in, what alternative roads might be used as a bypass, and if you're stuck for a while in traffic, some banner back-and-forth until the crisis is over and the road is cleared.

As far as entertainment, the CB has long been displaced by smart phones, cell towers and satellites.

mike619

Last time I monitored CB I heard what sounded like a trucker from down near the Mexican border trash talking someone on channel 19.

prcguy

Broadcasts pertaining to amateur radio are permitted, listen for the 20 minute long "Newsline" broadcast on many repeaters. Its not a two way conversation, its a one way broadcast. When I was a kid my next door neighbor was an FCC engineer and in charge of all the western states in the 1960s. He had a turntable connected to his HF transmitter for broadcasting one way amateur news information.

That is correct. Quoted from the FCC's website:

Amateur Communications & Operations FAQ -> Two-Way Communications

Q: Is broadcasting prohibited?
A: Yes. Section 97.113 prohibits amateur stations from engaging in any form of broadcasting or in any activity related to program production or news gathering for broadcasting purposes.

§97.113 Prohibited transmissions

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
K7MFC said:
lol yep, sounds about right. Idiots run a million watts and bleed all over the band repeating nonsense like that.

Yes this is one thing I do not like about 11 Meters.... All the people playing and dont respect radio....... I value my radio and dont like these things..... I have heard alot of drty amps that do just that (Splash the whole dial) Its sick they dont care about the harmfull interference they put out!

WB9YBM

I believe it is illegal, although I'd welcome an actual Ham to offer input.

As a ham, I say "yes"--broadcasting is illegal (although this topic started off as CB--well, it's illegal there too). There are minor exceptions like brief tests and such...

nd5y

Brief tests are not broadcasting.
Broadcasting is defined the FCC as one-way transmissions intended for reception by the general public.

WB9YBM

Brief tests are not broadcasting.
Broadcasting is defined the FCC as one-way transmissions intended for reception by the general public.

Which is exactly why brief tests are specifically exempted in the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.