CB Chatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwitherspoon

All,

I’ll be on channel 35 from 6:00 to 7:00 PM Monday through Friday if anyone wants to chat. I live in the central Portland area.

best,
D.

Dwitherspoon

When solar cycle 25 gets cracking I might be able to join you.

I’ve heard several long distance truckers on 17 AM with squelch turned all the way down. Anymore and the knob would break off. I was able to get one confirmed mic check on one of those occasions with my amp on. I couldn’t with it off. I assume the reason my ears are so good is due to being on the top floor of a 4 story building with a 7 foot top loaded antenna.

At any rate. It’s only channel 17 I’ve heard anyone on and they are incredibly far out. The gentleman who confirmed my mic check was passing by Olympia Washington.

Crazy.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
After seeing your ‘Portland is Dead’ post a week ago I’ve tuned in to channel 17 (AM mode) about a dozen times, at various hours of the day and night, and there has ALWAYS been a bunch of chatter going on. They’re not all weak signals either. There’s a guy mobile on top of Rocky Butte booming out over the area right at this very moment (8:00 am PST). I’m located in SW Portland.

Dwitherspoon

After seeing your ‘Portland is Dead’ post a week ago I’ve tuned in to channel 17 (AM mode) about a dozen times, at various hours of the day and night, and there has ALWAYS been a bunch of chatter going on. They’re not all weak signals either. There’s a guy mobile on top of Rocky Butte booming out over the area right at this very moment (8:00 am PST). I’m located in SW Portland.

You’re located in SW Portland and have a CB that’s hooked up?! Tonight, hop on channel 35 around 6:30 PM. Granted, there are the west hills to contend with, but something should get through. And yes, channel 17 is the only channel I’ve heard anyone on, but once again Rf gain is maxed and squelch is down.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
You’re located in SW Portland and have a CB that’s hooked up?! Tonight, hop on channel 35 around 6:30 PM. Granted, there are the west hills to contend with, but something should get through. And yes, channel 17 is the only channel I’ve heard anyone on, but once again Rf gain is maxed and squelch is down.

I don’t have a CB rig anymore. I used to have a Cobra 148 NW ST with an 18 foot Antron 99 antenna on the roof, but I sold all that stuff long ago. I tuned to ch 17 this past week on my Icom R75, which is a receiver only.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I don’t have a CB rig anymore. I used to have a Cobra 148 NW ST with an 18 foot Antron 99 antenna on the roof, but I sold all that stuff long ago. I tuned to ch 17 this past week on my Icom R75, which is a receiver only.

Was there any activity? CB activity is almost non existent in my area, North Macomb County, Michigan.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Got it, somehow missed it on the first pass. Was it mostly protester activity or concerned locals, or are they one in the same?

Mostly just the local radio wankers. Imbecility and vitriol constantly collide on CB here, sometimes to hilarious affect.
I think Home Wrecker and Country Girl are still at war with each other on ch 17, have been for 20+ years.

Dwitherspoon

FYI: Your power supply caught my eye, then I found this:

Reviews For: Pyramid PSV-300

The original models in the mid to late 2000’s had some tech glitches due to quality control. I bought mine in 2015 and has been stellar. Look it up on Amazon. I believe it has 4 1/2 stars. I’ve run it as high as 25 amps on a ham radio. “Back when I thought I was going to get my license and all that.” Maybe I’ll get the old gal out of storage. She’s also a galaxy model.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The original models in the mid to late 2000’s had some tech glitches due to quality control. I bought mine in 2015 and has been stellar. Look it up on Amazon. I believe it has 4 1/2 stars. I’ve run it as high as 25 amps on a ham radio. “Back when I thought I was going to get my license and all that.” Maybe I’ll get the old gal out of storage. She’s also a galaxy model.

(y)

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I think I would try and find one of the older models. That way, if there isn't any activity on the band near me at least I'll have S9 of dependable static I can listen to.
:)

Dwitherspoon

I think I would try and find one of the older models. That way, if there isn't any activity on the band near me at least I'll have S9 of dependable static I can listen to.
:)

It seems all I’m getting these days is static! Why even bother building in a squelch or RF gain knob? Haha. Either way you won’t hear anyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.