• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB DX is a blast!

CDX951

Premium Subscriber
The problem in DX is those that use AM-19:
The Travellers Channel.

More than three-dozen other channels exist.

Yes the "Skip Goobers" on 19 are an annoyance, especially the "Sand Jawa"! The noise level would still be very high when skip is rolling due to all the other drivers talking on the channel. Their signals are traveling long distances due to the propagation and adding to the noise level. Their isn't much that can be done about it, unfortunately. One of the tools I use to help forewarn me of disasters ahead is I constantly run Google Maps. The real time traffic has saved my butt more than a few times! The radio is still on, though, but heavily squelched.
Adapt and overcome!

JD

slowmover

There’s a balance between SQ & RF Gain that, the majority of daylight hours, works well on AM-19. Take down the bleeding edges to something duller.

The exception is weekdays after 1600 Eastern till dusk. Those doing the Devils work are out in force.

The weekends are the the sounds of the Damned filtering up from Hell on 19. There not any excuse viable to be doing DX on 19.

Assuming DSP use (and other filters) even 19 can be used where first class attention has been paid to power & antenna systems.

I don’t get on SSB much, but it’s my contention that the step from having just a CB to an Eleven Meter Radio is Sideband Performance: One can hear, and get heard from a mobile.

That path covers the topics needed:

Mobile Install Bible

Papa talking on Sideband to his little Momma back home — on his way home, and from a great deal farther than on standard AM or FM — is the desired state.

I can bounce over to 17, 20 or 28 and hear guys on Skip who are familiar or even of my acquaintance in Texas and Oklahoma while sitting this morning in Idaho. Sure it’s a blast!

Last edited:

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of DX, three months ago on 27.375 lower side band two chaps from North Ireland and U.K. chimed in on my C.Crane Skywave SSB. Antenna 9 foot wire attached to it's rod antenna taped to the wall vertical. Another 9 foot wire attached to radio's common ground with most of it flopped out the window just dangles there with no other connection.
My location is somewhere in Oklahoma, USA.

slowmover

Skip intensity today was unreal. Sitting all day in Colorado with AM-19 on and clearly hearing foreign stations. Would usually only hear on SSB.

VA3WEX

Premium Subscriber
Skip intensity today was unreal. Sitting all day in Colorado with AM-19 on and clearly hearing foreign stations. Would usually only hear on SSB.
Indeed, AM was behaving like SSB, and SSB was amazing! I was loving it. Every channel was so busy it was hard to get a word in edgewise, but I got two Florida contacts and one Jamaican on CB. Over on 10m I heard Alaska, Cuba, Guadalupe, Dominican Republic, and even Japan coming in faintly! Each operator had such a pileup chasing him that I could not break through any of them. Then a little after sunset the magic propagation switch flipped off, and I couldn't even hear the Superbowl. It was fun while it lasted, though!

slowmover

Indeed, AM was behaving like SSB, and SSB was amazing! I was loving it. Every channel was so busy it was hard to get a word in edgewise, but I got two Florida contacts and one Jamaican on CB. Over on 10m I heard Alaska, Cuba, Guadalupe, Dominican Republic, and even Japan coming in faintly! Each operator had such a pileup chasing him that I could not break through any of them. Then a little after sunset the magic propagation switch flipped off, and I couldn't even hear the Superbowl. It was fun while it lasted, though!

DSP sure makes it better, eh?