• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB HT Range Tests And Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckford

Today I finally got around to some rubber ducky performance testing in the wooded hills up here, recording a 401HH stock handheld with stock rubber ducky and a 5/8 MACO 5000 onto a 2995 DX, using two separate computers at home, with the 401HH on two plastic pales at "hip height" outside the cabin, and the MACO on the roof. Mobile was another stock 401HH handheld with regular rubber ducky, and a Cobra 29 LTD stock, barefoot, with a 102" whip on top of a 6" spring center of a 79 Continental (great ground plane) for a higher performance reference. Thus, both the home and mobile setup had two systems for dual reference. The mobile HT was always used outside the car, for full effect and no shielding.

The effect of height, obstacles, and the gain of the antennas was interesting. The 401HH at home, receiving the 401HH on foot, was either a full 5 reception at a quarter mile through the trees when the height was relatively even, and DOA when the elevation became even a slight issue. At all further distances, the two HT's could not connect, even when height was good, and wood terrain was at its best. Further tests with cleaner LOS to establish best case limits will have to be done in the future.

The interesting part was the fact that the receiving 401HH handheld at home was able to capture the Cobra 29LTD at a full 2 miles away with poor LOS and lots of woods to interfere, although at 2 miles it was a "4" quality reception. Indicating that HT to car rig performance has a LOT of potential in the current setup. Was honestly surprised with the compromise antenna working with the full quarter size the way it did.

The MACO and 2995 was expected to perform extremely well, and did better than I thought. All signals were "5" quality, all the way to two miles, and also challenge tests through extremely heavy woods at a mile away. Height is might, and the 2995's reception and audio processing is Grade S stuff, so not surprised. The test was limited to two miles, and I might have to drive further to see the final limit of "calling back home" through the woods. Final proof that CB HT's are fine for covering the property up here for use on the estate.

Still, if you have read the tl;dr and are still interested, is how come I can get a rubber ducky to work with a 108" mobile antenna up to 2 miles away, yet I hear all sorts of CB types on places like the Youtube acting like they climbed Mount Everest if their two mobile whips like the WIlson and others get out to three miles?

Is the 108" just that mighty? Are the compromise mid length CB antennas that poor performing? Low noise floor in the country? Great ground conductivity playing a role here in North Dakota? A combination of such things? Is there something I'm missing? When so many CBer's report such terrible results, and mine are exceeding their reports?

prcguy

I've had good results with various antennas on CB HTs with the best being Long Beach, CA to the UK on a 6 watt Magnum 1012 SSB CB/10m HT with base loaded 48" telescoping whip. The same HT and antenna got about 65miles from a local hilltop at about 550ft altitude to a distant flat land base. Another great contact was the same HT using its stock short rubber antenna about 9" long from the Los Angeles Harbor to the town of Big Bear in a distant mountain range and the minimum distance that could be is 85mi and not line of sight. All contacts were in SSB mode and no more than 6 watts and the other ends all had base antennas of some kind. The UK was obviously skip but the 65mi and 85mi contacts were not and could be made any day.

A full 1/4 wave 108" whip is about the best you can do in a mobile. You can wind a 1/2 wave with matching or a 5/8 wave in the same length and it will not do any better. The only thing that will beat a 108" whip on CB is an antenna physically longer than a 1/4 wave like a 1/2 wave shortened to 12ft or similar, but longer than 108".

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
( This first part is for people that are not familiar with CB ) The CB band wave length is 11 meters. One quarter of 11 meters is about 108 inches. A 102 inch whip on a ball and spring mount will get one close enough to 108". Even at 108" in length, the antenna is a compromise. Smaller antennas will typically have the wire coiled in order to get to the length needed. Anyways, placing that spring mount and whip top dead center of a car and things will be reasonably okay for performance. As you noted, a '79 Continental offers more ground plane the most other cars. Yes, 108" is reasonably mighty compared to other compromised antennas.

Yes, height is might for RF signals as well as having a clear path. I climbed a 10k mountain peak with a handheld RadioShack CB and was able to make a contact over 100 miles away. ( Line of Sight at 10k feet is around 140 miles ) Range with a low powered handheld will surprise many when using good and better antennas. Still, I was not a fan of using a 102" whip with a ball mount and spring when driving around town. I compromised with a short antenna and was fine with it. I used a ball mount and spring with the shorter antenna and was able to work five miles around town, if I remember correctly. I think more.

All antennas, radios, vehicles and coax are not equal, so there's plenty of room for variance. Factor in poor grounding to a vehicle as well as poor coax connectors and things get worse. Again, all things are not equal, so you should not be surprised. Another factor is the person who installs the radio system and if they even have an SWR meter to see what's what.

jhooten

Yes, the free space quarter wave length at channel 19 (27.185) is 108.5 inches. If you put a stainless steel whip 108" long on you car the SWR will be matched at very close 26 MHZ, almost a full MHZ below Channel 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.