CB isue i have

Status
Not open for further replies.

followspot2

Hi, I am new to this forum so please be nice.

I live in Australia, and i need to be in contact with some people with cb.
So my issue is that I live on one side of this big hill, and on the other side is the area where i need to communicate to. The distance i need to communicate is around 6km, and the hill is about 100m higher than than booth ends. The CB channel that is used is Channel 25. (can not be changed.)
I was wonder if anyone has any ideas for how i could fix this issue. I don't mind if it is a janky solution just as long as it works, and is cheep.

Any help would be greatly appricated

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You'll likely want some local help, or at least someone familiar with the rules as they apply to you.

You are in the classic situation of "topographical shielding", which is a fancy way of saying "there is too much dirt in the way".

The solution is a repeater on top of the hill. Not being familiar with the rules down that way, I can't tell you the legalities of it, if it's allowed, if it's allowed on that channel, etc.

A repeater will receive on one frequency and retransmit on another. Audio is passed through the system and over the hill. Not cheap, but you don't need a lot of RF power, so that keeps the cost down. Solar panels and batteries could supply the juice.
However, that all requires you having access and permission to install a repeater up there.

Short of that, you will not find a solution that is going to work. Getting around hills either requires using some low frequency stuff to bounce off the atmosphere, or a repeater.

followspot2

OK, thank you mmckenna.

Yes i will need to have a look at what the rules are in Australia. I know that onto of the till there is tower which dose NBN, Telstra, Optus, Vodafone, (if you are not from Australia they are out ISPS)
Could punting a repeater on that tower cause interference? Has anyone in Australia got incontact with the company who operates a tower?

As you said repetes are "not cheep", would you be able to give me a value?

rustynswrail

Forget about a repeater because channel 25 is outside of the assigned repeater channels assuming you are using UHFCB. Basically there is no solution, janky or otherwise that is going to work and be cheap. And while UHFCB can punch above its weight under some circumstances, the scenario you have detailed above is well and truly beyond its capabilities.

R

followspot2

i am not sure, what happened to my last comment.

mmckanna, said that i would need a repeter, then rustynswail said i cant use one. which one is correct?

I think i need to look up some details about the rules.

followspot2

I am struggling to post a reply, lets see if this one works.

mmckenna, you are saying i need to get a repeater, onto of the hill there is a tower. do you know how i get in contact to see if i can put a repeater on it.

rustynswrail you are saying i can use a repeter, why?

pb_lonny

Why can't you change channels? If you can find a local repeater which both parties can access, that would be the best way around this?

followspot2

*take 4? i know i am new but i cant seem to get reply working. I am new so i must be doing something wrong.

mmckenna, it sounds like it will be a good solution, But rustynswrail seems to say it is a no got. can i or cant I?

pb_lonny, changing channels is a no go, as i am the new one joining the group and currently there is about 35+ people already using this channel. and a hole community area that listens into it (on the other side of the hill)

just to give some more info, on top of the hill between us is a phone tower, dose any one know how to get incontace with the tower operator to add a repeater? could this cause interference with the equipment all ready up there?

I have had a play with link.ubnt.com to see where i could put a repeter, it looks like there is only two/three spots where a repeter. 1 being the tower and the other 2 in bush land on hills.

Any help would be appreciated

N8IAA

*take 4? i know i am new but i cant seem to get reply working. I am new so i must be doing something wrong.

mmckenna, it sounds like it will be a good solution, But rustynswrail seems to say it is a no got. can i or cant I?

pb_lonny, changing channels is a no go, as i am the new one joining the group and currently there is about 35+ people already using this channel. and a hole community area that listens into it (on the other side of the hill)

just to give some more info, on top of the hill between us is a phone tower, dose any one know how to get incontace with the tower operator to add a repeater? could this cause interference with the equipment all ready up there?

I have had a play with link.ubnt.com to see where i could put a repeter, it looks like there is only two/three spots where a repeter. 1 being the tower and the other 2 in bush land on hills.

Any help would be appreciated

Is there some reason that you need to contact that group?

Because, with a 400 foot hill in the way, you won't be able to do so. Since you can't put up a repeater, according to someone who lives in your area, you're not going to communicate with that group.

It's just that simple.

Larry

Oh, by the way, you were being monitored. Nothing wrong with your posts. Just RR rules.:)

rustynswrail

Just to make it simple for you, repeaters can ONLY be established on channels 1 to 8 (inputs 31 to 38) and 41 to 48 (inputs 71 to 78). No other channels can be used for repeater setups. Repeaters are licenced by ACMA (Australian Communications & Media Authority) and only upon the payment of a fee.

Assuming the ISPS providers were to permit access to their tower, the cost of the annual rental would be massive. You would not get it for free, so discount that idea immediately. Setting up a repeater on a greenfields site is expensive, so that is out of the question.

Basically what you are trying to do cannot be done using the equipment you have and the UHFCB band. You will either need to licence a commercial repeater frequency for around $1000 to $2000 depending on the type of licence required or figure out some other way of doing. By the way I am in Australia and not the US so have a better idea of local rules and regulations. I also work in the two way industry.

followspot2

rustynswrail, i has a friend tell me about this, would it work?

You get two radios you put on CB 25 at i need and the other on CB 68, and hock up the output on one to thin input of the other and you have now created a repeater. and i talk on CB 68 on the other side of the hill.

This makes scene to me, would it work in in real life?

rustynswrail

Technically it would work if you have two antennas either horizontally or vertically separated to avoid interference, or a diplexer that could be tuned for the very narrow channel separation (you are talking about 0.0875MHz separation). Legally it cannot be done. If you were to decide to do this and get caught it may and I repeat may, cost you dearly in fines and a conviction.

Perhaps this may help you learn about the UHFCB assignments and channel usage in Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHF_CB

R

followspot2

"Legally it cannot be done" OK, thanks for letting me know that.

I think i might have to go this illegal way as it sould like the only way that could work. That is a shame.

I think i will go and do a test run with two portable before doing a proper rig. and find out if it actually would work? if it dose then look at actually going it a go for a permanent install (a long time time before that happens)

rustynswrail

Okay, your call, but be aware of the following.

46. Subject to section 49, a person must not, without reasonable excuse, knowingly or recklessly operate a radiocommunications device otherwise than as authorised by:

(a) a spectrum licence; or
(b) an apparatus licence; or
(c) a class licence.

Penalty:
(a) if the radiocommunications device is a radiocommunications transmitter:
(i) if the offender is an individual - imprisonment for 2 years;

or

(ii) otherwise - $150,000; or

(b) if the radiocommunications device is not a radiocommunications transmitter - $2,000.

R

followspot2

hum.
yea that is a big fine. I think/ hope that i will go under the radar as it will only be 5w MAX. I also know of other people who use 50w on CB i think they are a bigger isue that what i will be with a repeater.

Now i just need to get 2 5w raidoes now. dose anyone know where to get cheep CB raido?

rustynswrail

I wouldn't bet on flying under the radio if recent events are any indication, but it is your money or arse that is going to end up in gaol if you get caught.

R

followspot2

ok, what i am thinking of doing is turning it on and off when i know i will need to use it and when i will not need to use it. i hope i don't get caught!

just as a question rustyswrail do you work for ACMA? or what connection do you have the CB stuff?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I think i will go and do a test run with two portable before doing a proper rig. and find out if it actually would work? if it dose then look at actually going it a go for a permanent install (a long time time before that happens)

There are cables made for this type of setup, to connect two handheld radios, meant for hams to put up an impromptu repeater.

Sent using Tapatalk

rustynswrail

ok, what i am thinking of doing is turning it on and off when i know i will need to use it and when i will not need to use it. i hope i don't get caught!

just as a question rustyswrail do you work for ACMA? or what connection do you have the CB stuff?

No I don't work for ACMA, I work in the two way industry.

R

Status
Not open for further replies.