• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CB Mounting in new cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ok when your wife brings her 8 lb purse into the car, be sure she screws that sucker to the floor.

8 pounds? Your wife must like to travel light.

She could use a bungee cord but I don't recommend those due to possible eye injuries,

True, but it's probably on the floor or at least on the passenger seat. I know my wife tends to put it on the floor behind the drivers seat. Sure, it an accident it's going to go all over the place, but 5 pounds of old receipts probably ain't going to hurt anyone.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Do any of you have examples of ways you've mounted a CB or Ham in a newer car that still looks pretty good?

Recka,
so as you can see, these sort of subjects tend to go all over the place.

Carefully considering how you mount the radio is important. Concern is that in an accident the radio can break loose and hit someone. A 4 pound chunk of metal/plastic/electronics could cause some damage.
Securing the radio properly should be a concern. Adhesive mounts like double sided tape, glue down velcro and others can weaken when the interior of the car gets hot.

Ideally for a radio that heavy, you would want it through-bolted into a substantial part of the vehicle. Small sheet metal screws can come loose with vibration, hard braking, etc. If you have rough roads, go off road, etc. that can become an issue. I usually cut a piece of aluminum bar stock to go on the opposite side of the mounting bracket, usually inside the dash. Running some bolts through the bracket, through the dash, through the backer plate and following it up with lock nuts is a good way to keep it secure.

But, as always, it's your vehicle, your radio, your decision. We just don't want to see anyone get hurt.

sloop

I know that you would like to keep your Cobra 29 but have you considered a different CB? President electronics has a complete line of DIN am cb's and an am/ssb cb ($179) that are made for limited space mounting. I use the Johnny III in my Nissan Frontier and my wife still has room for her hand bag (all **** lbs of it).

FiveFilter

I burned up a GPS unit sitting on the dash under a white hat to "protect" it from the sun for about an hour in Florida a few years ago.

That cured me of top-of-dashboard electronics.

WB9YBM

Which car manufacturer? I know years ago GM and Ford had extensive information about two-way radio do's and don'ts... And back in the 90's Toyota had a 10 watt power limit, if I remember correctly...

Toyota.

WB9YBM

LOL!!! Of course. I live in the Mojave Desert and have never had a problem with my dash-mounted RADAR detector, or pair of 5550e, which although are not dash-mounted, still endure the heat. There is definitely going to be an increase in heat, even when driving with the air on, when dash mounting anything, but negligible as far as performance or life IMO.

Additionally, on top of the dash makes the radio a bit too obvious to potential thieves...

SmitHans

If there is another thread somewhere please point me in that direction. I have a 2015 Chevy Traverse that I'd like to mount a Cobra 29 in. I used it in my old work truck, and Isuzu NPR and there was plenty of easy mounting options. With my personal Chevy the dash is already taken with the touch screen and HVAC. My Console has a shifter and storage/armrest but no place for a radio the size of the Cobra 29. I don't want it on the dash because of heat and there is another storage area I keep important items in on top of the dash. I was looking at the laptop or tablet mounts I've seen online that bolt into the passenger seat and come up of the floor. I think something like that would work but the $200 plus price tag seems a big much for how I'm going to use that (Translation, my wife will kill me for spending double what the radio is worth to mount it). Do any of you have examples of ways you've mounted a CB or Ham in a newer car that still looks pretty good? Thank you in advance! Recka AKA 585 in MA
Is there room on the ceiling and a solid point to mount it there?

Austin83

I used Velcro to attach mine to the side of the center console near my right leg. I didn’t want to drill any holes, and in my Tundra, there is little to no space for an additional radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.